Deep Sea Detectives - Andrea Doria episode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 pm Saturday...Damn...I will be in Denver. I'll have to sweet talk my wife or maybe order my son to tape it for me.

I had a VCR malfunction (should have had a backup) but I am not real worried about it as most of the programs either repeat over the weekend or a month or so later.

Now DA that was very un-DIR-ware ish

I thought it was kind of bland. They did not say Deco once. Why not tell the public how long the poor guys (and gal) had to sit in deco for viewing pleasure?

Did anyone see the documentary on the U-Who? How was that?

If they had told us everything about the dive, we would have loved it, but the rest of the viewers would have been bored. How did Cousteau pull it off?

Cousteau had that cool nasally French accent. He also made it sound a whole lot more dangerous than it was. Well...the way he dove it was actually pretty dangerous.

I remember reading some where that when he explored a cave system he refused touse electric lights and instead used his trued and true flares - essentially doing some major contamination of a pristine cave system - so much for environmentalisim.

I got to hear a presentation by Jean Michelle Cousteau once and he did impress me much more than his dad.

kingprawn once bubbled... Did anyone see the documentary on the U-Who? How was that?
I saw it. The story line was pretty much the same as told in "The Last Dive." They had a legitimate mystery there. The problem is that they are trying to manufacture more mysteries.

O-ring once bubbled...

The plan for dive 2 was one person stay outside the wreck solo on a breather and the other person to penetrate to the point of impact (a SERIOUS penetration) solo on OC.

And during the planning the guy who was penetrating said to Chatterton...if you get in trouble flash your light and we'll call the dive.....too funny.

I actually saw the NOVA episode on the U-Who and bought it from PBS. It is under the episode called "Hitler's Lost Sub" It is definitely better than the DSD Doria episode, which I also watched. I agree that some of their dive planning was not the greatest, however, I have to agree that I thought I saw a bailout bottle attached to Chatterton's rebreather. And also, if he was planning to penetrate the wreck, wouldn't he drop any other stage/bailout bottles at the entrance anyways?

Anyways, I digress, the NOVA episode is actually 2 hours long and does go into more depth in terms of diving. It also has a lot more dive footage as well than the DSD Doria episode. I think it also has live footage of them bringing the Rouses on board. It is hard to tell if it is real or a recreation. The scenes when they go back down to recover their stage bottles is certainly real though.

The drawback. You can buy the episode from PBS, however, they have yet to convert it to DVD. After speaking with the operator, it is in the works, but a slow process. It runs about $25 bucks after S&H.

...A little over a minute since the rerun of the DSD 'Doria episode.

Firstly, I want to thank DSD for showing this magnificent episode. Lots of people here have criticized it, but the bottom line is that the event was so publicized in 1956 that the 'Doria could truly be called the "Everest of Diving." All of your episodes are good, and I take every opportunity to watch both your show and your "competition" on National Geographic. Most of all, I want to thank you for airing it again... I'm a full time night student at my local University, and was sorely disappointed to have had to make the choice in priorities and attend class. Today's rerun of the episode gave me the opportunity to watch the show. For me, the event was more important - and a bigger deal - than watching the Superbowl.

Secondly, most of the criticism that the episode has received here has been "the nature of the beast." I could touch on specific points, but it's safe to say that I think y'all struck a nice balance between brutal, boring fact and drama. I didn't see anything wrong with anything that was said; in fact, I found the episode tastefully done; it was very exciting for me as a diver.

Thirdly, I watched the episode and was very interested in the "penetration" part of the dive. Being an avid 'wrecker myself, I was specifically interested in the logistics and the dive style that you guys were going to employ when penetrating. It's difficult for me to find the right words here... Let's just say that both divers involved looked to be very experienced divers... But that I can't be more serious when I express to you my feelings about that last dive: That current saved your lives. From one diver to another - and from one that's been present more than once when a buddy's life has been snuffed eerily close to him, I can tell you that I have developed a "smell" for death. Take it for what it's worth... But y'all came a lot closer than you'll ever know.

Lastly, I want to tell you guys how much respect I have, particularly for John Chatterton... Not because of the mission; not because of the planning; not even because of the dive. I have respect for JC because of the candor and sensitivity that he displayed when he offered to "Do anything for the family" that had lost their sister/grandmother on the ship. Yeah, it made for good T.V... But *respect* to you, my friend, for giving something good out of the passion for diving. I can't remember the last time my eye welled up from a show on the History Channel... But a tear ran down my cheek on this one. Good thing you guys cut to commercial - I might have missed a part of the show, trying to dry up. :)

I'm glad that y'all came back safe and sound. Thank whatever God you have for that current. You have no idea how close you really came.

My condolences to your staff and the DSD families during this time of mourning. The loss is felt by the entire diving community. All I know to do is celebrate the fact that it was only one life taken this season.

See you on the 'Doria in 2006.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom