Deep Sea Detectives - Andrea Doria episode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapunk-17055 once bubbled... - I'm still buggered about missing the Lake Mead B52...
Actually, that was a B-29 and they had an ROV go into the aircraft to find out what "Sun Tracker" was. It turns out all they needed to do was ask one of the guys who was on the project. The guy handed them one and explained what it was.

IMO, that was pretty contrived.

One of the host just died filming another episode on the Perry.

RIP

Spectre once bubbled...

And don't step onboard after 10:00pm... :wink:

In the past its usually been 9pm unless you make special arrangements!

When people hear his briefing about boat policies and "illegal" substances and see the hand cuffs... I have seen more than one person leave the boat over the years and return several minutes later....

He's one of those guys that has to get up before the sun...

padiscubapro once bubbled...
In the past its usually been 9pm unless you make special arrangements!

Well, between 9 and 10 you get away with a stern bashing. Show up after 10 and the first thing you hear is the click of gun being cocked.

I heard a great story about a delivery guy coming onto the boat unannounced... I forgot the full details, but he never came back :wink:

Spectre once bubbled...

I could be wrong, but my rumor mill told me that they went out on the Eagles Nest this year to film.

Spectre, I believe your rumor mill is serving you well. I went out on the Algol aboard the Eagle's Nest this past May and I'm almost positive that Captian Howie mentioned how amped he was about the multi-day Doria trips he had booked for a documentary in-the-making.

Did anyone tape the episode? Possibly we could work something out.

I had a VCR malfunction (should have had a backup) but I am not real worried about it as most of the programs either repeat over the weekend or a month or so later.

mwilding once bubbled...
I liked how they basically showed that it was likely the Stockholms fault and then left it that there was "plenty of blame to go around"...

In retrospect, the sinking was very un-Navy like given the severe starboard list. The Doria's captain should have been more considerate of future wreck divers, especially considering all the china aboard, and counter flooded some port compartments so that the Doria sank upright. He deserves plenty of blame there.... :D

DA Aquamaster once bubbled... I had a VCR malfunction (should have had a backup) but I am not real worried about it as most of the programs either repeat over the weekend or a month or so later.
2 PM EST Saturday

DA Aquamaster ...

mwilding ...
I liked how they basically showed that it was likely the Stockholms fault and then left it that there was "plenty of blame to go around"...

Regardless of its flaws, it is still one of my favorite shows at the moment. Have you ever watched ER with a doctor? They think it's a comedy...

In retrospect, the sinking was very un-Navy like given the severe starboard list. The Doria's captain should have been more considerate of future wreck divers, especially considering all the china aboard, and counter flooded some port compartments so that the Doria sank upright. He deserves plenty of blame there.... :D

If Carsten Johanssen had not flinched, and turned to starboard, then we would not have this beautiful wreck to dream about, true. But I do not feel you can say that he was at fault.

In the sacred game of chicken at sea, you are not supposed to flinch.

On the other hand, putting a huge gaping hole into another ship's starboard bow is impressive. Very Navy like! Even though he did flinch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom