Deep Sea Detectives, July 19 show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
Don't ever, EVER watch Deep Sea detectives looking for "good dive practices."

My favourite was when Chatterton and Richie Koehler were doing the Doria. Chatterton was going to penetrate solo, and if he ran into trouble, he'd just flash his light.

Uh huh.

That's one HECK of A light - shines right through steel? Sign me up for one o'them babies! :34:

MikeFerrara:
I saw it too.

I guess they make these shows for non-divers but if I was making a tv show about cave diving I'd put at least one person on film who looked like they knew how.

I suppose I'm a bit of a purist and a little over critical given that it's a cartoon and all but it really was the absolute sloppiest cave technique that I've ever witnessed...in person or on the boob tube. Fins going this way and that...doing a half modified flutter combined with a half scissor kick (nothing that's taught in any cave or even caver class...knees WAY down.

Oh well if we drag the top down a bunch than the bottom won't look so bad huh?

It's only tv...it's only tv...it's only tv...

At least watching that episode made me feel a little bit better about my own crappy frog kick and trim that I'm working on...

But someone does need to sign Chatterton up for a DIR-F course...

I knew it was going to be good when the episode started right off with the yellow boxes of death...

diveski01:
"Can you hear me now? Gooood!"

My favorite: ramming the rebar into the ceiling! Now there's a great message to send out. I can imagine every legit Cave Instr screaming about that lesson.

Not that that cartoon qualifies as exploration but...

If a hole is needed when exploring a cave a hole is made. Freedmen sink in Florida wasn't much of a sink until Sheck and friends dug a hole big enough to fit through.

I'll bet lots of cave decorations were broke down to make room to run a line in some of the Mexican caves.

And then there's the not so uncommon use of explosives especially in dry caves.

My only real point is that the rules change depending on the situation.

lamont:
I knew it was going to be good when the episode started right off with the yellow boxes of death...

Divers are going deeper and further. The biggest problem is hauling enough gas. Especially where expensive and increasingly rare helium is used a rebreather will be the tool of choice. It just doesn't make sense to throw away good helium.

I think that as rebreather designes get simpler and O2 monitoring/control technology get's better that open circuit will become completely obsolete.

That was the most appalling bit of travesty I have EVER seen in a diving show. I didn't intially watch it, but I intentionally woke up to view the repeat last night after I heard how bad it was. Bozanic should be ashamed, and Chatterhead, excuse me, Chatterton... well, he may have made some oustanding comtributions in the past, but this is a complete joke.

You think? You gotta go back and see all of these episodes, but I doubt you could stomach it.

Actually, the worst show I ever saw immediately followed the Britannic show on the Discovery channel if IRC. Here you have guys at 400 ft making it look like they are in a shallow pool. The following show takes place in 60 feet or so and the guys make it look like the greatest undertaking ever. I think they were diving the some ancient lighthouse off of Eqypt that has long fallen into to water. I may have the episode mixed up with another, but it was an awful display of diving.

chickdiver:
That was the most appalling bit of travesty I have EVER seen in a diving show. I didn't intially watch it, but I intentionally woke up to view the repeat last night after I heard how bad it was. Bozanic should be ashamed, and Chatterhead, excuse me, Chatterton... well, he may have made some oustanding comtributions in the past, but this is a complete joke.

MikeFerrara:
Divers are going deeper and further. The biggest problem is hauling enough gas. Especially where expensive and increasingly rare helium is used a rebreather will be the tool of choice. It just doesn't make sense to throw away good helium.

I think that as rebreather designes get simpler and O2 monitoring/control technology get's better that open circuit will become completely obsolete.

Actually I sort of agree. But at the same time watching them go through that cave with a YBOD on their backs like that was just the icing on the cake.

Its deep sea detectives, I try to relax and have a beer and not get too analytical about it...

Speaking of TV has anyone been watching the Croc Hunter. I watched him yesterday. He tackled a turtle from a moving boat then hauled him up and out for a good look. He followed that act by catching a Tiger (Shark) by a lasso. One of these days shows like this are actualy going to get someone hurt. Bad thing is they'll only hype it up that much more which will only result in bad PR for diving.

Man, I thought my half-a$$ed frog kick was bad :wink:

After watching DSD last night, Bozanic's "Manifold" article in the last issue of Immersed makes all the sense in the world to me... Pretty cave though.

-Frank

Anyone tape it.
I'd be glad to pay for the tape and postage to see it.

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom