Deep sea wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oxycheq has, in the past, not supported its dealers when Oxycheq equipment proved faulty. I have never heard this about their wings, though.

The Oxycheq/DSS battles go back to my earliest times on ScubaBoard -- whatever happened to Stephen Ash anyway? -- and are like Coke and Pepsi to some degree. I think both companies make good gear. I think both company owners can be stiff-necked and difficult at times. I have never heard of any behavior from DSS that I thought was unethical, and I was personally involved in the light fiasco that put me off Oxycheq permanently.

Both wings will work. The price on the DSS is very good.

I am not sure I would consider them like Coke or Pepsi, which are largely substitute goods. If I was diving cold water with limited visibility like you I would prefer the Oxycheq for the build quality. For travel I would prefer the DSS because it packs small and light.

I do remember the fights between Tobin and Patrick, they were legendary.

I don't remember the light fiasco but I do remember something about O2 sensors.

Yes it does, thank you for sharing. I am sorry you took offense but maybe the OP has the same circumstances as you. A MK-5 is an older reg but there is nothing unique about the shape. It is the same as a MK-25 or a DST.

When I get a chance I will check it out. I have a DSS 18 that I bought for a travel rig but I only dove it a few times, I think I was using a MK-16 first stage and did not notice any issues. But a MK-16 is more compact than a MK-5.

---------- Post added March 1st, 2014 at 02:33 PM ----------

In some funky colors too. LOL. But if they are not a dealer then they will not be able to help you with service.

Sorry I got heavy, love you, I am sorry.

I think one of the things that I do, that many more modern drivers do not do, is I do not jack my tank up over my head as is common practice today. This results from the defficient and incorrect design, for single tank use, of the typical doubles "tech" plate when used for single tank diving. That and some misguided belief that this facilitates reaching a valve, beats me.

The lower (normal) tank position that I use makes the central located inflator even more of a problem. However, jacking the tank up does not eliminate the bulk of my reasons. But for some divers, obviously they are happy, so I cannot dismiss that there is more than one way to skin a cat or a fish for that matter. And fish taste a whole lot better than fried cat unless it is fried catfish.

N

Contact Cave Adventures for Oxy products. Their "over the phone price" is much better than what is on their websites. I bought my 30lb. and 18lb. Extreme wings from them and saved more then enough to get my fabric plate free.
Someone already mentioned it but, the Mach V's don't pack up very flat because the material is so thick, but they are also extremely durable and have a very low profile.
At the time of purchase it was the "Extreme" series' cut-resistant material that sealed the deal for me. I believe Dive Rite now has the same or similar material for some of their wings.

I put my Oxy Mach Vs on the bottom of the dive bag, back plate up, cam bands removed, and then let everything packed above squish them flat. They are so tough that I do not worry about them being damaged.

N

Reactions: gbf
Thanks to all ho posted, I didn't realize it was going to get so interesting, but I've decided to go with the Oxycheq 30lb wing which I ordered through Golem Gear. Can't wait to try it out. Again thanks to all I appreciate all the feed back. :)

Back
Top Bottom