Deep stops and ascents...

Deep and Safety Stops...

• What's a deep stop? What's a safety stop?

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • I follow my Divemaster.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I only do a 3-5 minute safety stop.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I always make a one minute stop at half of my deepest depth and then do a 3-5 minute safety stop.

Votes: 70 39.5%
  • I follow another protocol. (please post it!)

Votes: 46 26.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 minute stop at 1/2 max depth

1 minute stop at 30 feet

1 minute to 20 feet

3 minute stop at 20 feet

1 minute to 10 feet

1 minute stop at 10 feet

surface

usually i just swim upslope and spend time shallow. on square profiles, though, its 1 minute stops from 1/2 max depth, and often it looks more like 1-1-1-2-3.

The first time I heard about 'deep stops' was when I purchased my Mares Nemo as it's RGBM Mares-Wienke algorithm incorporates deep stop to combat micro-bubbles in the tissue.
Presumable if the profile calls for it, the computer will recommend deep stops.
Here is a link to the Mares-Wienke algorithm and here jumps you straight to the section on Deep Stops.
Interesting reading.

2 min. @ 1/2 max depth, 1 min. @ 30, 3-5 min. @ 15-20 on all dives deeper than 90ft.
All others with a square profile: 2 min. @ 1/2 max., 3-5 @ 15-20.

Only time I don't do this is in a place like Bonaire where many of the reefs are nothing but a long sloping ascent.

P.S. It was covered in my open and advanced classes but not mandatory.

H2Andy:
1 minute stop at 1/2 max depth

1 minute stop at 30 feet

1 minute to 20 feet

3 minute stop at 20 feet

1 minute to 10 feet

1 minute stop at 10 feet

surface

Andy, do you do this while cave diving also?

yeah... luckily, so far, the caves i dive (Peacock, Devil's) have an open water
portion where this is possible.

the half stop is a little bit inside in both systems, but within daylight

usually I just swim upslope and spend time shallow.

yes, that is what I try and do---the giant check mark. But I get sloppy and distracted sometimes, which is why I do not consider myself a good candidate for tech diving.

I am religious about the three minutes. I am trying to be more methodical about the deep 1/2 depth stop. I feel like I am refining my diving but mostly I am just focused on pictures so staying in my safety zone is important. I keep a close eye on my computer and cross check it against 120 rule. If I feel guilty about getting into deco (even though I did the time) I will skip the second dive.

I know it's not perfect technique, but I am constantly fighting my basic undisciplined nature. I am constantly fighting distraction.

For recreational dive is "No Decompression Limit" follow according dive plan , I will do 3 to 5 minute at 4/5m depth

Quite often I dive walls or slopes so I take plenty of time to come up and spend a fair bit of time shallow. I learned this from diving a computer in my early days.

If I dive square profiles I slow down my ascent from about 80% of my max depth,

then do a deep stop at about half my average depth while I shoot my bag.

Depending on the profile I will generally stop at 12, 9, 6 and 3 metres as well. Sometimes its not so much of a stop, except for 6msw, but a r e a l l y s l o w ascent.

I teach my students this.

For OW students (because 18 metres isnt deep enough to warrant this IMHO) I teach them to stop for 1-2 minutes at half max depth, then safety stop.
If they are diving sloping profiles I encourage them to spend heaps of time shallow depending on their gas supply.

Maybe I do a modification of #3, depends on max depth and location factors.
Coming up from say 90’ would be 3 Pauses staying around X feet, for longer as shallower. (I think a couple of other posters expressed it better LOL.) Then what I call my Safety Stop also depends on max depth and time spent heading up. It could be 3 stops between 20’ to 5’, or one around 15’ – 10’. Time at Safety varies but no less than three minutes, more like 5+.

I learned the bones locally or recommended (local) game plan in class (Padi) and repeated after by other divers. There is stuff to see all along the way, I only dive locally and generally multi-level. The fine tuning is my interpretation (considering my age etc) of several sources, most, maybe all, probably could be linked back to ScubaBoad. ScubaBoard and its links did convince me to think ahead and formulate a more specific plan for dive/gas.

Currently (at least) I’m going by the head up to Xish and look around a while there theory. Weighing time spent at depth off gassing / reloading or, aiming for more off gass and less reload. At least that’s what I interpreted. Recently I was looking at computer profiles and this thread gave me a bright idea. I remember a 34’ with minimal exertion, realized I was too tired to be diving and called it, taking only 2 min@ 15’ Safety and was really pooped on the surface. Thought then I was just really tired, but later decided I blew a Safety resulting in that extra level of fatigue, lesson learned. I’m usually very refreshed after 1 to 2 dives and hadn’t paid much attention. So I’m going to make a note of fatigue level to compare to ascent profile.
It’s all a work in progress and welcome comments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom