Deep water/deco diving courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi to all! This is my first post to this forum. I was wondering if some of you could give me some advice because I'm kind of wondering how to advance my diving skills in the direction I'm being drawn to. I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm an AOW diver with about 170 dives. Not much compared to all of you, I know. After reading some of the technical diving posts and visiting the Bikini Atoll site, I am really intrigued to follow a more technical path. I'd like to learn to do some deeper dives involving decompression diving (possibly to visit some wrecks without penetration) and then eventually become certified in wreck and/or cave diving depending upon what I decide to do.

Are there any basic courses that generalize for technical deep water diving/decompression that would be a good first step to moving on to a more specific path later on?

Also, what is a ballpark cost for courses and equipment for such? I have been told that it could cost as much as a few thousand dollars just for one course and the equipment.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Well, yeah, there's a lot of ways to get into tech. The first step is usually Advanced Nitrox, which is commonly taught in conjunction with Decompression Procedures. This level, which I'm currently certified in, isn't really about going deep, it's about bottom time, learning how to dive with a virtual "cieling" over your head, and using enriched 02 blends up to 100% 02 to offgas. You will need doubles and a 40 cf pony at a minimum for this training. The next phase is trimix, learning how to dive with Helium in your mix. Search out instructors near you, and see what you can find as far as training goes. I'm learning from a TDI instructor, but there's also IANTD, Naui, and even PADI, aka, Tec/ Rec, and, of course, the GUE/ DIR route as well. Good luck, and have fun learning!

This was my training route to Wreck Diving
My goal is to explore the four diveable Aircraft Carriers in the World:
USS Oriskany; USS Saratoga; and HMS Hermes.
(Nazi Germany's Graf Zeppelin may be too deep and too cold for my comfort level). . .

Not much I could add to nailers post except price will vary around the $600 - $800 range depending on area and instructor. Check out your instructor carefully ask to see his/her logbook and see if they dive what they teach.
Also what kind dog is in your avitar?

That's an "island dog" that looks like he's half doberman, half shepard, half border collie... :)

I took the pic in Belize a few weeks ago as someone put the rubber mask (that he was chewing on) on his face.

Since your AOW, I´d start of with Rescue, I´d take that one as soon as possible (one of the best courses I´ve taken)...

After that the most common route is propably something like:
-nitrox+adv. nitrox perhaps combined with a basic OE-course, then dive.
-Some sort of normoxic tmx combined with a "technical OE-course" (wreck/intro-to cave), then dive
-"Full" tmx combined with "full" cave, then dive.

The course-names and combo´s will look a bit different depending on which agency you go with and whether you do cave or wreck as well as what "escalation" you´re comfortable with...

While I agree that rescue is a course everyone should undergo, before thinking about doing more courses it might be a better idea to find a group of like minded divers with experience and go diving with them. Although mentoring takes longer as a lot of the training is effectively osmostic the basis becomes sounder.
Work on trim, bouyancy control, make sure you can do all your open water skills midwater without altering depth, with your mask off, in zero viz, in cold water etc etc etc.
And then decide if you still want to go ahead. No idea how much courses cost these days, but expect to have spent 1000's by the end - and buy a bigger garage.

A separate forum post about a Cave class experience prompts this parallel advice about Tec training. This may not provide Airfish with specific preliminary course recommendations, but hopefully it does apply to preparing for tec training. Two of us recently completed the PADI Tec course (Level 1 and Deep) and came away with a reaction similar to CoyKoi’s observations after Cave. We were reasonably experienced divers (one DM, one AI) and naively expected that we would do well. However, the only ‘well’ was, ‘Well, we somehow managed to finish and successfully complete the course.’ After the course, I shared four pages of notes with our instructor (who did a fantastic, and patient, job with us) for use with future students. I share two thoughts here with Airfish and any others thinking about tec, with the caveats that these are my personal reflections based on my individual experience in one training program.

First, tec diving is very much about EQUIPMENT and PROCEDURES. So, set up your EQUIPMENT – doubles, drysuit, deco bottles - and dive it A LOT before starting the course, to get comfortable with controlling it in the water, lest it control you. This may seem odd, since part of the (PADI) tec course is training to use doubles safely (valve shutdowns, etc.) But, I agree with the 25 dive minimum (that CoyKoi suggested before Cave), and possibly even more, before starting Tec. I had reasonable drysuit experience (40+ dives), and a bit of doubles experience (10 dives) including two NC coastal trips where I used my doubles, and thought I was in good shape. In fact, because I doubled up the steel 120s I had been diving as single tanks for several years, I deluded myself into thinking I was prepared. But, I only had four dives with the drysuit AND doubles, and no dives with a drysuit, AND doubles, AND two stage bottles (an 80 and a 40). I ended up trying two different wings during the course, simply to get better buoyancy / trim control than I achieved with my newly acquired Super Wing (I finally settled on a Halcyon Explorer 55#). I was so frustrated I almost quit at several points! The problem wasn't the Super Wing, of course, it was my lack of experience with it and the rest of the rig.

Second, I went into the tec course with VERY naïve expectations. I looked at the requirements for each of the 12 dives and thought, 'How tough can this be?' The only difference is that I will be diving doubles, and for three of the dives at slightly greater depth than I have been to before (165’ vs 140&#8217:wink:. Perhaps, in hindsight my biggest mistake was that I went into the tec course thinking of it too much as certification – meeting the requirements, checking the boxes, and getting the card - instead of training – mastering the skills and PROCEDURES required to safely dive deeper and longer. Stupid me. It was an appropriately humbling, and therefore valuable, experience. Pride goeth before the fall, and all that!

Tec training is task loaded. Holding depth within a foot or two of a target, in a drysuit, doubles and two deco bottles, isn’t all that easy, especially at shallower (20&#8217:wink: stops. On two occasions (simulated deco dives) we switched to our first deco bottle 10 feet too deep probably because we were distracted by the other tasks we were trying to perform (lift bag deployments, etc.), and didn't read our slates correctly. We even repeated one entire dive simply because our first attempt was, as our instructors so candidly put it, SO UGLY.

In the end it was a tremendous course, and I came out of it a far better diver. But, it was a psychological and emotional roller coaster at times. There were points when I wondered how anyone could consider me qualified to be a DM, given my thrashing around in the water trying to stay stable, and perform valve shutdowns, while holding depth. The course content was excellent, the training was well worth it and I hope others will consider taking advantage of this kind of training. Just do as much equipment prep as you can before even starting! While my experience was with the PADI course, I imagine similar observations apply to TDI, and the other equally valuable course. Prepare, prepare, prepare. And, therefore enjoy.

Colliam7, that was superb. Hat's off to you.

Its training, not a certification. You probably could just find a certification somewhere, cheap. But that would be really, really unsafe if your skills weren't up to the job.

The only thing I would add is attitude is more important than equipment. Approach tech diving like its always ready to kill you. And that you always need to learn and get a little bit better to stay ahead of that and you'll do fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom