Deep water/deco diving courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think, and I know Rick Inman will agree with me, that taking GUE's Fundamentals class is a superb place to begin moving toward tech or cave training. There, you will be introduced to the kind of standard that's required for technical classes, which, as Colliam's post indicates, is quite different from what you're used to from recreational scuba. A Fundies class will help you learn to manage your technical gear and give you some basic skills for managing emergency procedures. Even if you go on to decide to take your technical classes through another agency, the basis you get from Fundies will serve you well.

I think, and I know Rick Inman will agree with me, that taking GUE's Fundamentals class is a superb place to begin moving toward tech or cave training. There, you will be introduced to the kind of standard that's required for technical classes, which, as Colliam's post indicates, is quite different from what you're used to from recreational scuba. A Fundies class will help you learn to manage your technical gear and give you some basic skills for managing emergency procedures. Even if you go on to decide to take your technical classes through another agency, the basis you get from Fundies will serve you well.

It seems to me a fundies class is more a final exam than a class. Am I wrong in saying that most of what you learned from fundies, you actually learned from dive buddies, mentors and the people you chose to surround yourself with. You are fortunate Lynne that there are some of the most capable DIR people right in your area and you were able to learn from them. I see and hear frequent frustration from people not so lucky who fail fundies due to the fact it is impossible to teach the required skill level required in one weekend.

No, Dave, you're right. You can't learn everything to technical (or, for me, even recreational) standards in one weekend. But you DO get introduced to everything, and you DO see what the performance standard is for technical diving. And you do go away with the material you need to practice and bring your skills up in quality. And nobody needs to pass the class unless they intend to go on in training with GUE, so if you take it simply with the idea of drinking as much information as you can, I think it's still a great place to start.

There's just a huge jump from technique and expectations of recreational scuba, especially as it is usually taught, to what's expected for Tech and Cave classes. I think people can reduce the amount they struggle in a tech class by mastering the basics ahead of time. You can do that with the right mentors, or the right instruction, but Fundies and NAUI Intro to Tech are the only classes I know that just focus on skills, without adding depth, deco bottles, or overhead to the complexity.

I think people can reduce the amount they struggle in a tech class by mastering the basics ahead of time. You can do that with the right mentors, or the right instruction, but Fundies and NAUI Intro to Tech are the only classes I know that just focus on skills, without adding depth, deco bottles, or overhead to the complexity.
Of course, one or the other is good (mentors/fundies class), but both is best, IMO. I was lucky in my timing. I had taken fundies, had mentors, and had a year of practice before my tech instructor came along. I can't imagine how much I would have sucked (even more than I did) if I had tried to leap from rec to tech without the class & mentors.

No, Dave, you're right. You can't learn everything to technical (or, for me, even recreational) standards in one weekend. But you DO get introduced to everything, and you DO see what the performance standard is for technical diving. And you do go away with the material you need to practice and bring your skills up in quality. And nobody needs to pass the class unless they intend to go on in training with GUE, so if you take it simply with the idea of drinking as much information as you can, I think it's still a great place to start.

There's just a huge jump from technique and expectations of recreational scuba, especially as it is usually taught, to what's expected for Tech and Cave classes. I think people can reduce the amount they struggle in a tech class by mastering the basics ahead of time. You can do that with the right mentors, or the right instruction, but Fundies and NAUI Intro to Tech are the only classes I know that just focus on skills, without adding depth, deco bottles, or overhead to the complexity.

I agree with the concept, that is why my tech courses are now taught in 2 parts. Part one I introduce the concepts and skills and part 2 I don't always schedule right away as I give the students goals to acheive before continuing.
My concern with fundies is as an end product. I don't see it's value without the ongoing training since it seems to be a final exam in itself. I have heard from many frustrated "provisional" holders

I have never dove anything bigger than lp85s for dives to 300+ft. Just don't breath so much :D

I dive lp85's with tech fills well beyond your suggested range. :wink:

I also don't think someone into deco diving ness. has to have a fleet of doubles to meet various sites/profiles conditions....proper planning goes a long way in this...I persl. use lp85s for all staged deco dives.

LOL I didn't say the couldn't be used deeper, just that they were adequate for beginning level deco in the 130-160ft range. You don't need hp130s for 150ft by any stretch of the imagination. Whether you need them for the next level down, whatever that might be for the OP, is way down the road. :)

I have 2 sets of doubles 1x hp100s + 1x lp85s. I think it helps when using various mixes and saving leftovers of one mix for another day. Also helps for those who have to leave tanks overnight or longer for fills to have a 2nd set.

Plug for the NAUI Intro to Tech DVD produced by 5thD-X
5thD-X/Breakthru Diving

Great DVD showing alot of what recreational divers need to know skill-wise to transition to deco/technical diving. Fairly inexpensive, very high value IMO.

The Techical Diver DVD is also good, although a bit redundant with Intro to Tech. The Essentials DVD is their first effort and not quite as complete or smooth (and geared to recreational divers).

No, Dave, you're right. You can't learn everything to technical ...

You know, I'm not 100% sure I agree. But it is _very_ tough.

I agree that most recreational divers would not be aware just how tough the requirements are to get a tech pass and their skills wouldn't be anywhere close. But it's not impossible.

Familiarity with doubles diving and extensive buoyancy and trim practice are an absolute necessity IMO.

I agree that I would have preferred it in 2 parts. I think this would allow students to see where the bar is, get an idea of the skills, identify gaps and then get some time to actually practice. :)

I dive lp85's with tech fills well beyond your suggested range. :wink:

I also don't think someone into deco diving ness. has to have a fleet of doubles to meet various sites/profiles conditions....proper planning goes a long way in this...I persl. use lp85s for all staged deco dives.

When you say you use only your 85's for all deco dives, does that mean just the 85's for bottom gas, or do you use them with a stage for deeper dives?

When you say you use only your 85's for all deco dives, does that mean just the 85's for bottom gas, or do you use them with a stage for deeper dives?

Bottom gas, and will sling a bottom gas mix stage cylinder if needed based on the dive profile....this of course does not include reqd. travel and or deco cylinders as needed to complete the dive profile. Course there are pinnacle dives that would require larger cylinders to safely complete....goes with the territory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom