Deepest safe depth on air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed my deepest dive at the time I posted early in this thread was to 153 ft. Since that time I have made quite a number of deep dives on air to the 180-200 ft range over a two year period when I was filming for an episode on "deep" ecology.

Although I was certainly narced at those depths, I was very capable of locating subjects, framing them and following them if they moved. I was aware of my gauge readings at all times and could compute my necessary ascent and deco profiles. Of course this came after a period of several months descending to deeper depths beyond 150 ft to test my reaction to narcosis.

About a year after I ceased those dives, I did one to a max depth of 151 ft and was as narced as I've ever been in my life. Later I even got noticeably narced at 107 ft. I attribute that to the fact that I was diving 300-350 dives a year during the period I was diving really deep and my body had probably accomodated to higher nitrogen loading whereas the dives I got very narced on were during periods of much lower diving frequency (50-75 per year) and no deep diving history.

Today I rarely go deeper than 100 ft because I have no reason to.

I wouldn't refer to my deep dives as safe even though I returned from all of them and had no problems afterward. The dives were done solo as I didn't want to have anyone else risk their lives. I did carry about 150 cu ft of air in a redundant configuration. Many of the dives lasted 50-60 min with multiple deep stops and long periods of decompression in the shallows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom