Defense Against a Menace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

videofly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I came across this instruction for using the Defense Position against entanglements and menaces in my old National Association of Skin Diving Schools (N.A.S.D.S.) textbook called Safe Scuba from 1971. My, how times have changed. I was just wondering how many of us have used this tactic and how often they practice or use it. I would imagine that the advent of the BC has made this technique more difficult to execute. Also, I think it may have been more useful in the days of Thunderball and other films.

Defense.jpg

I've got this alternate air thing all wrong. I didn't realize you gave your buddy the tank, and you kept the regulator. Doesn't seem very helpful

I came across this instruction for using the Defense Position against entanglements and menaces in my old National Association of Skin Diving Schools (N.A.S.D.S.) textbook called Safe Scuba from 1971. My, how times have changed. I was just wondering how many of us have used this tactic and how often they practice or use it. I would imagine that the advent of the BC has made this technique more difficult to execute. Also, I think it may have been more useful in the days of Thunderball and other films.

View attachment 186553

I do not know about the "menace" part but as to entanglement a doff and don maneuver should be part of SCUBA instruction if for no other reason than to demonstrate water confidence and skill and it could be useful for entanglements.

But I am not sure that shoving your tank into a bull shark's jaws is a good thing or even possible. Let me know how it goes if you try it out.

N

I do not know about the "menace" part but as to entanglement a doff and don maneuver should be part of SCUBA instruction if for no other reason than to demonstrate water confidence and skill and it could be useful for entanglements.

It was in my course.

It was in my course.

Also in mine, am I to believe that donning and doffing your tank is no longer part of OW instruction?

My first ever real rescue was on a night dive to aid somebody who had managed to get his tank/first stage caught up on a line connected to a 50 Gal oil drum which in turn was part of a mooring connected to a concrete block by a chain. He had been trying to swim ashore and exhausted himself to the extent he did not even think to take his gear off and was unaware of what was holding him back.

His buddy had already swam ashore and was not aware that the other diver was not with him :idk:

I swam back up the channel to where the mooring was as I could see his light and faint calls of "help help" and sorted out the situation in a few minutes, but I had to tow him back to shore where other divers helped out carrying him and his gear (Separately) to where we were having a BBQ.

He was stuck to that mooring for about 10-15 mins swimming all the time, we all had a good laugh about it afterwards. No idea how he got caught up in the line, but we all know how lines have a mind of their own at times. Certainly not a candidate for solo diving and it also emphasised what buddy diving was all about, and how it was easy to forget who your buddy is when diving in a large group as we were that night.

It was in my course.

As a solo diver I practice it regularly UW even though I get a lot of practice at the surface anytime I dive from my 12' rowboat. Have to drop the loaded BC in, slide in over a huge tire tube, then put the BC on, dive and reverse to get back in the boat at the end of the dive. I think it's important to do underwater because that's where the dangerous tangles are.

Also in mine, am I to believe that donning and doffing your tank is no longer part of OW instruction?

It's still part of the course, at least in the agencies I know. I am also unaware of any thoughts about having it removed.

ACUC does it, our instructor went a step further and made us do it blindfolded

Sometimes the menace does it too:

[video=youtube;QpsR3EBysg8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpsR3EBysg8[/video]

When I first went through getting certified (more than a while ago). I don't recall that exact slide, but I do recall having do drop all gear at the bottom, surface, dive back down, re-don the gear. I know it's not part of the PADI program any more. I was told that at least 1 student had died from the free accent, held his breath. For me, it was very eye-opening how the air kept coming out of my lungs coming from 12 foot to 0.

Of course, the rig looked a lot like that, but dual hose... shades of ThunderBolt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom