Definition of technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ok, last night while i impressed my wife (ya right) by
tearing up an old console and pulling the pressure gauge hose
out, which i then installed on my first stage after removing
my computer, she saw the invoice for my new pressure
gauge, which said "Tech Divers."

so she asked me, what is a tech diver?

and i said, well... divers who dive really deep and use gases
other than air or oxygen enriched air, like helium.

it occurs to me that this is not exactly a great definition.

so... i guess my question is, how do you define a
tech diver?

Use to be if you used Nitrox you were tech. Now everyone uses Nitrox.
If you used a 7' hose you were tech now they're so common.
Now I think we're at the point you have to carry reels, lights,
H valves, or doubles with manifold, and a deco bottle, to qualify.
Who knows any more.
Fred

H2Andy:
i guess my question is, how do you define a
tech diver?
Someone who safely and intentionally crosses the boundries of recreational diving as defined by various certifiying agencies.

James

I heard this from somebody on a board I forget who but : somebody who's willling to possibly die at 200 ft in black cold wter because its fun....

Someone who dives in an overhead environment, wether that be decompression and/or caves and wreck penetration, with the proper training.

It's not defined by the equipment you use, but the dives you're trained to conduct (and usually do conduct).

Ben

OneBrightGator:
Someone who dives in an overhead environment, wether that be decompression and/or caves and wreck penetration, with the proper training.

It's not defined by the equipment you use, but the dives you're trained to conduct (and usually do conduct).

Ben

WHAT HE SAID

The thing about pushing the edge of the envelope is that you end up changing the boundaries. As fgray1 said, it used to be that nitrox was technical, now it's pretty much mainstream recreational. Technical diving involves gear and training but is really about diving beyond the normal recreational limits. I like the overhead definition, be that actual or virtual, but I also include diving in very cold water or anywhere that you face an entanglement issue, such as kelp forests or even the exterior of net-draped wrecks.

What are we going to call it when helium becomes normal for dives in the 100 - 130 ft range?

What are we going to call it when helium becomes normal for dives in the 100 - 130 ft range?

donald duck diving?

OneBrightGator:
So, in your opinion, someone who uses specialized gasses to avoid decompression is not a tech diver?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom