Delaware Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a tune up dive at millbrook on sat. for my trip to the ocean . the thermo kline was down to 35 feet and viz was 10 to 20 feet . below that viz was 50 to 60 feet. It's not Hawaii. bottom temp was 42 degrees.

novadiver:
I did a tune up dive at millbrook on sat. for my trip to the ocean . the thermo kline was down to 35 feet and viz was 10 to 20 feet . below that viz was 50 to 60 feet. It's not Hawaii. bottom temp was 42 degrees.

Ya, I was told it's pretty chilly. I don't mind the chilly water or lower viz. Looking forward to it actually, although I haven't dove in fresh water so I don't know how messed up my weighting will be....

beir:
How is the wreck diving around there? What's the water clarity/depth? I was thinking on going up there for a dive with my LDS wondering if it's a worth while 3 hour drive....

It depends on your preferences. I really love it, but it's not Caribean diving and not for everyone.

Expect a several hour boat ride on top of the drive, cool water on the bottom (54F usually), viz in the 5 to 30 foot range and expect currents. Also, most of the diving is +80fsw or deeper. Consider a reel to find your way back to the anchor line.

A lot of the wrecks are low profile debris fields but they are real living ships that once plied the seas. And they have small corals and critters. INFINITELY more interesting than a quarry. There is cool stuff out on the sand.

If you've never done it, going with an LDS is a good place to start, particularly if you and they know each other's comfort levels.

I am absolutely pining for a Delaware dive, but with my best dive buddy and wife expecting our little one any week, I must stay land locked. Alas.

bang the hull 4 times
I think I missed this the first time around.. Is this some kind of signal? We don't use this one so I am unfamiliar with it..

Thanks!

O-ring:
I just couldn't see the logic in driving just as far to experience worse conditions. :)

Well, first, it's only 2 hours for those of us who don't live in the hills by their stills in the Old Dominion.

And second, the ocean is still the ocean and a two hour return beats a lost weekend if the seas are running. A flight to Florida is faster than a drive to Morehead City, if you want warm and cozy!

O-ring:
I think I missed this the first time around.. Is this some kind of signal? We don't use this one so I am unfamiliar with it..

Thanks!
that is the international signal for a trapped diver. it's never good news . and if you hear this signal you are obligated to help or get help. dive safe.

novadiver:
that is the international signal for a trapped diver. it's never good news . and if you hear this signal you are obligated to help or get help. dive safe.
I'm thinking my buddy would see that there was a problem long before I would have to resort to banging on the hull, but one never knows. Thanks for sharing!

Any of you ever dive the Northern Pacific, San Gil, or Moonstone? I figured I should at least look since you are all so pro-Delaware diving so I checked the Surface Interval's website and there are a couple interesting wrecks (NO, the China Wreck does not qualify as interesting.. :wink: ).

O-ring:
Any of you ever dive the Northern Pacific, San Gil, or Moonstone? I figured I should at least look since you are all so pro-Delaware diving so I checked the Surface Interval's website and there are a couple interesting wrecks (NO, the China Wreck does not qualify as interesting.. :wink: ).

Yes ,Trish and darrel are good people , But Capt. Clay's a little crusty. Don't tell him I said that our he will leave me at sea. I thought you were going to stick to N.C.

novadiver:
Yes ,Trish and darrel are good people , But Capt. Clay's a little crusty. Don't tell him I said that our he will leave me at sea. I thought you were going to stick to N.C.
Maybe I'll come up and see how you "better" divers do it after all. I was totally against it because I am not a brass polisher (trash collector) and the China Wreck held no interest whatsoever, but it turns out you guys have some decent wrecks after all.. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom