Delfins Beach Resort; any feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We will be on the United flight from Houston. We have some commitments on Sun, Mon and Tuesday. Maybe we could pick a time and all hook up Wednesday morning at one of the northern dive sites with ample parking (since most seem to be staying up that way) like Oil Slick Leap?
Sounds like a plan. Then maybe a lion fish burger at the Cactus Blue food truck

We are staying (first time) at Port Bonaire so let me throw out the possibility of meeting in the middle at Bari Reef with lunch before or after. In fact, we would be willing to meet for a two tanker. We often dive a site north and south.

@morecowbells sorry to hyjack your thread but we had to find some way to get back at you for topping us with your resort. :wink:

Last edited:
We are staying (first time) at Port Bonaire so let me throw out the possibility of meeting in the middle at Bari Reef with lunch before or after. In fact, we would be willing to meet for a two tanker. We often dive a site north and south.
@darook @uncfnp and @trailboss, meet at bari reef at 10:00 am Wednesday the 6th. Dive then lunch. Plenty of time to firm that up but lets use it as a starting point for a plan

@darook @uncfnp and @trailboss, meet at bari reef at 10:00 am Wednesday the 6th. Dive then lunch. Plenty of time to firm that up but lets use it as a starting point for a plan
Sounds like a good plan. Perhaps lunch at Between Two Buns next door? A fun after lunch dive is Cliff to Bari. We would have enough vehicles to pull it off. Cliff is nicest in the afternoon when the sun gets more light down on it.

Regardless, we are excited to meet you all! We are row 18 A and F on the way down. We both like windows for sleeping. Hoping for an upgrade but not counting on it.

Last edited:
So, it's south of town, and a bit south of Belmar Apartments? But not way down south.

The main point of interest I see, judging from one of the photos I saw at the Trip Advisor page, is that it looks to have some sandy beach? If so, that could be a game changer for some people.

More than once on the forum we've warned people that Bonaire is not a 'beach' destination. Yeah, if you pay more for Harbor Village, or you could make do with Eden Beach Resort's manmade (IIRC) 'beach' (but not a gradual sandy slope out into the water for wading!), but for people taking along non-divers who are big on beach, Bonaire is generally not seen as the place to be.

Will Delfins Beach Resort change that?

Richard.

I was at a BBQ on Donkey beach and went skinny dipping and the spot I walked in was very nice and sandy.. Good thing as I was very well "drunken skinny dipping" at mid-night...

Jim...

So, it's south of town, and a bit south of Belmar Apartments? But not way down south.

The main point of interest I see, judging from one of the photos I saw at the Trip Advisor page, is that it looks to have some sandy beach? If so, that could be a game changer for some people.

More than once on the forum we've warned people that Bonaire is not a 'beach' destination. Yeah, if you pay more for Harbor Village, or you could make do with Eden Beach Resort's manmade (IIRC) 'beach' (but not a gradual sandy slope out into the water for wading!), but for people taking along non-divers who are big on beach, Bonaire is generally not seen as the place to be.

Will Delfins Beach Resort change that?

Richard.
Hey Richard. The road forks just past Belmar apartments. The main road goes left but if you take the right fork the resort is at the end of the road where it turns left and heads back to to EEG Boulevard.

Yes, from the looks of the resort they are targeting a slight different traveler from the usual Bonaire dive resorts. My first thought was “sweet” then that it was definitely out of my price range and then I started to consider the impact on Bonaire if this type of resort becomes a trend.

Attachments

• 86FE506C-A58B-48C2-B23E-3B7CF77202C2.png
    86FE506C-A58B-48C2-B23E-3B7CF77202C2.png
    412.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hey Richard. The road forks just past Belmar apartments. The main road goes left but if you take the right fork the resort is at the end of the road where it turns left and heads back to to EEG Boulevard.

Yes, from the looks of the resort they are targeting a slight different traveler from the usual Bonaire dive resorts. My first thought was “sweet” then that it was definitely out of my price range and then I started to consider the impact on Bonaire if this type of resort becomes a trend.
I don't think it will have too dire of an impact on the island unless it is really successful. Looking one island over at Curacao they built a beautiful resort that started as a Hyatt. I stayed there just after it opened. When bookings didn't meet expectations the owners threw Hyatt out and rebranded it. I don't know how successful it has or hasn't become but I don't think it has had much effect either way on Curacao. Granted, Curacao is a very different island with a much larger population but it still has reasonable accommodations for divers.

I think the resort will be a boon for the person who has a spouse that doesn't dive and wants a nice place to chill out. They can leave them at the beach or pool and go dive. As this resort is run by the former Plaza management they will be targeting the Dutch more than the American traveler I expect. Half of the Plaza compound is rotting away empty nowadays so this model will have to be different than what they tried there.

Back
Top Bottom