Delray Beach/Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I will be visiting relatives next week and staying at the above locations, whilst there I would like to do a few dives. I dont fancy taking all my dive gear from the UK, maybe just my regs, mask/fins, computer & logbook. Can anyone recommend a good dive center (in both areas) that arrange trips and hire equipment, somewhere I can just turn up, hire the kit and get on the boat. Thanks in advance from Colin in cold, wet & windy England :wink:

Hi Colin,

So, you're coming to thaw out in sunny Florida? Sounds like an excellent plan! Just about any of the dive ops around here should be able to set you up with rental gear.

For the "mainland", try Underwater Explorer in Boynton Beach, not far from Delray. Check out the Boynton Dive Chronicles and drop ScubaKevDM a line here on the 'Board.

And, in the Upper Keys, Capt Gary's (also on the 'Board) Conch Republic Divers is always a good time.

As far as the Lower Keys go, Looe Key (off of Big Pine) is very pretty, but, other than that, not nearly as much (good) diving down there, especially off of Key West. The vis tends to be worse and there is less to see than in the Upper Keys. Might want to keep that in mind as you plan your trip.

And, last but not least, if you're looking for buddies, post your plans in the Trips & Local Marktetplace section, and I'll bet that you'll find some takers.

Have fun!

hi colin,
so, you're coming to thaw out in sunny florida? Sounds like an excellent plan! Just about any of the dive ops around here should be able to set you up with rental gear.
For the "mainland", try underwater explorer in boynton beach, not far from delray. Check out the boynton dive chronicles and drop scubakevdm a line here on the 'board.
And, in the upper keys, capt gary's (also on the 'board) conch republic divers is always a good time.
As far as the lower keys go, looe key (off of big pine) is very pretty, but, other than that, not nearly as much (good) diving down there, especially off of key west. The vis tends to be worse and there is less to see than in the upper keys. Might want to keep that in mind as you plan your trip.
And, last but not least, if you're looking for buddies, post your plans in the trips & local marktetplace section, and i'll bet that you'll find some takers.

Have fun!

Ditto what she said!!!

In Key West, come dive with Subtropic Dive Center :)

In the Boynton area try Starfish Enterprise Excellent OP (goes out of Lantana, just north of Boynton)

I think the reefs there are some of the best in FL. Plam Beach county has great diving; In the West Palm area there is Bill Walkers "The Wetter the Better" and Jim Abernethy's. In Jupiter, a little farther north, Jupiter Dive Center is excellent. I'd spend more time diving in PB county vs Key West.

I 2nd the Looe Key recommendation; its about 30 miles north of Key West and offers good diving - if you are staying in KW, its way too long a trip to go to Key largo or Islamorada, which have excellent diving. Quiesence is a good OP but its in Key Largo, a +/- 200 mile round trip from Key West on a road you can't "make time" on (the M1 its not!).

Key West has diving, and is a great place to visit, but the diving is not the equal of other places in the Keys.

Hi Colin,

So, you're coming to thaw out in sunny Florida? Sounds like an excellent plan! Just about any of the dive ops around here should be able to set you up with rental gear.

For the "mainland", try Underwater Explorer in Boynton Beach, not far from Delray. Check out the Boynton Dive Chronicles and drop ScubaKevDM a line here on the 'Board.

And, in the Upper Keys, Capt Gary's (also on the 'Board) Conch Republic Divers is always a good time.

As far as the Lower Keys go, Looe Key (off of Big Pine) is very pretty, but, other than that, not nearly as much (good) diving down there, especially off of Key West. The vis tends to be worse and there is less to see than in the Upper Keys. Might want to keep that in mind as you plan your trip.

And, last but not least, if you're looking for buddies, post your plans in the Trips & Local Marktetplace section, and I'll bet that you'll find some takers.

Have fun!

Ditto what she said!!!

Ditto what he and she both said. Both recommendations are spot on and both ops are top notch. :thumbs-up

Hi Guys, thanks for all the info, sadly the holiday has been and gone. Unfortunately I only got 2 dives done in Key West, not brilliant but I saw a large Eagle ray on the 2nd dive which made up for it. Our family had a lot of things planned for us to do so it put paid to diving up around Delray, there is always next time. Thanks again, Colin.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom