Delta Airline's extra fees for divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, detroid diver, you have a valid point. Very few if any divers are actually being charged the extra fees because Delta is not actively applying their policy- yet. But with increasingly detailed baggage screening and airlines tightening their luggage restrictions enforcing other rules for size, weight, carry-ons, etc. it may only be a matter of time before we start meeting zealous employees who apply the policy on scuba gear.

Yes, the policy to charge divers extra just for carrying a snorkel is ridiculous and unfair. No, you don't have to tell the airline you have scuba gear in your bag, and you can continue to hope that you squeak by. But I wonder what you would think if Delta had a policy to charge you an extra $160 for your trip because of your race- your kind is "trouble" you know. Would you think it was no big deal if you didn't look like your race and could usually "pass" for a race that wasn't subject to the charge? Obviously unfair discrimination against divers doesn't carry the emotional and ethical weight of race discrimination, but it is still wrong. You can either try to "pass" for a non-diver, or you can try to change the policy. I choose to do what I can to affect change in this unfair policy.

Just my 2¢,

Bill

BillP,

You also have a good point. I guess we don't really know what will happen with bag inspection in the future. The world of travel is indeed changing.

Maybe proactive is not a bad way to go. I just didn't see it at the "really mad" level, yet.

Has Delta rescinded this policy?

In the current issue of Faceplate (Spring 2003), the "Ohio Council for Skin and Scuba Divers's" newsletter, it stated that a letter writing campaign had been influential in getting Delta to re-write their fee policy regarding scuba equipment. No longer would there be an $80 charge (even though it hadn't been applied consistently) for equipment. It does however state that the weight limit was lowered to 50lbs for all packages.

Any confirmation of this new information?

tx, Bob

I likewise e-mailed Delta. When I travel to dive it is usually to tropical areas so I don't carry much gear and most of it (except the video equipment) can be hidden.

Maybe someone should come up with a golf bag for carrying SCUBA equipment!

Dr. Bill

Feel pretty lucky.

I live in Asia. Last trip I went on I had 45kgs check in luggage, and another 20kgs hand carry ( housing and camera ) and no one blinked an eye. Frequent flyer card helps, but only to 30 kgs in economy.

Scuba diving equipment will be accepted as checked baggage and will always be subject to an excess baggage charge. One dive bag containing scuba equipment, other than an empty dive tank, may be accepted as part of the free baggage allowance. An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the free baggage allowance and will always be subject to an $80 fee. Scuba equipment accepted in excess of the free baggage allowance will be assessed the appropriate fee based on destination.

I'm e-mailing for clarification, because to me, the first and second sentence contradict each other.

Peace,
Cathie

I am flying delta to cayman this summer. I hope they don't decide to charge me for my regulator and computer that I am going to carry on.

The airlines are trying very hard to increase their profits thru silly fees.

Thanks.... I too will send an email to Delta!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom