Delta Airline's extra fees for divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sent the email to Delta too. I hope every will. It was very easy.
Aqua:
So sorry I missed you too. Did you get the message I left you?
I did meet up with Gaz in person (very handsome guy) and with Bob3 from the board.

DEMA seemed under attended to me. I did however get my work done, with time for one Chippendale's show on Thursday night. Fun!

PS Didn't mean to get off the subject. Everyone please send the Delta email!

It's in the mail.

Just sent off an email to Delta giving them my 2 cents worth.

If you have, thanks! But you might have noticed that you probably received a response from their customer service department that is just about as stupid as the policy to charge extra. The first level Customer Care representative has no clue what you're talking about and they really don't care anyway.

I ask that you all now respond to the reply that you received and specifically request that your concern be forwarded to a supervisor. If you don't get an answer, send your email again until you do hear back from them (it'll probably be read by someone different each time). When you get to the supervisor, insist that your concern be forwarded to the people at Delta who have the authority to set the policy on excess baggage charges.

If you haven't contacted Delta yet, why not take a minute and do it? The more people that contact them, the more likely they'll listen.

http://www.delta.com/care/email/index.jsp

Let me know what they say.

TIA,

Bill

Bill,
I received a response from them this morning. I almost spit my coffee out at the answer on "Why" the extra charge. The CSR said it was because of the "special handling" scuba gear requires. Huh? I responded to her by telling her there was no logic in her answer. Scuba gear (other than maybe air tanks) don't need any more special handling than golf clubs and other luggage.

I will shoot off another email to the link you posted.

Do you have a mailing address?

I find that a letter is often taken more seriously than an email, particularly for frequent flyers, especially if it contains annoying ccs to regulators, elected officials and/or consumer protection groups.

Sent my e-mail. I agree what could require special handling. My husband suggests it is the expense of the gear that may require a supervisor to handle the gear not a regular baggage handler. But, I doubt it.

Special handling is very common, it's what they call a 'carry down'. All golf clubs are carry downs, as they are to big to go down the belt & to the appropriate pier. As well as any other over-sized items. There's no extra charge for this & it's really not a big deal f/ the airline.
It's motorized wheelchairs that really cause a ruckus, as they need to know if it's a dry cell & they need to have the battey disconnected. But the owner of the chair has to do it & 9 times out of 10, the owner doesn't know how.
I can't imagine why something packed in regular sized, checked in luggage should require an additional fee.(As long as it doesn't exceed the airlines weight limit) Scuba gear, except tanks, requires less special handling than skis, golf clubs, fishing poles, hunting rifles.
It's absurd!
I never fly Delta-so it's hard to boycott them. But I'll sure e-mail them & give them my .02 cents worth.
Sheesh :upset:

The Special Handling issue probably stems out more of ignorance than maliciousness on their part....Well I really don't know :wink: ...

But we, as divers, are probably taking for granted what non-divers know about the sport and equipment. What for us is a simple gauge, someone who has no idea, might think it is some complicated gadget. I think that it's why in some instances when you tell some none-divers that you are a diver they look at you as a brave, daring and crazy person.
A lot of people, when they refer to your tanks, refer to them as "oxygen tanks". I have gotten that twice when moving from state to state on an airline, and they would not hear my explanation.

So I guess that writing to the airline until you get an answer, like you are suggesting is he best idea.

I'll do my part
BoricuaMojao

Perhaps someone in this thread can post a "formatted" letter or email that everyone on this board can cut and paste into there own email, so that the message to Delta is very clear, and from an abundance of sources.
I know it sounds like the lazy approach, but if it gets people sending emails, it works.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom