Delta Airline's extra fees for divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did get a response back, but not an answer. They requoted the policy and fee scale. $80.00 for a piece or group of the items listed not per item. I do think it a bit rediculous to charge $80.00 for a mask, snorkle and fins for what they call special handling needs. I sent back again another e-mail on this and requested an answer as to how they determine special handling on these pieces of gear. I agree if it were a tank that special handling would be in order, but I don't travel with my tank. I also, will be looking into other airlines when I book my next scuba trip by air. But, in our local area Delta has the corner on the market, and the hub being in Atlanta really makes it difficult to not use them from Georgia.

I sent an e-mail to Delta. Here is their response. I also sent an e-mail to United to see what their policy is but I have not heard back yet.

Thank you for taking the time to write to Delta via the Internet. We regret your disappointment in the excess baggage charge that applies when traveling with scuba gear.

Some scuba gear, such as a tank, requires special handling.
The $80 charge is collected to recover some of the costs associated with this special handling.

At this time, Delta does not have any plans to change this policy.
However, I assure you that we constantly listen to our customers and make changes based on customer feedback. A copy of your e-mail has been sent to the appropriate department head to review when making future decisions regarding this aspect of our service.

I would like to advise you of a delivery service that is offered to
customers via our web-site at www.delta.com/sportsexpress or by calling 1-866-289-9664.

Sports Express is an option for persons traveling with sporting equipment or bulky luggage. Items are picked up from the home or office and transported to the destination location. All items are insured and guaranteed.

Again, thank you for writing and sharing your concerns with us. We value you as a customer, and welcome any future opportunities to serve you.

Sincerely,

Heather Futch
Manager
Customer Care

Well yes, "some scuba gear such as a tank" does indeed require special handling. But why do they have a policy to charge $80 each way to carry just a snorkel? What "special handling" does it require?

If the policy is just intended to cover the special handling of a tank, why don't they change the policy to reflect that? That's the way American Airline's policy reads.

https://www.aa.com/content/customer...wance.jhtml?anchorEvent=false#Specialty Items

Thanks for writing them.

Bill

I will be writing back to Delta.

Here is the response I got from United (similar to AA):

Thank you for contacting us. Below, you will find an outline of our
guidelines for traveling with your SCUBA grear.

SCUBA DIVING EQUIPMENT
- ONLY ACCEPTED AS -CHECKED- BAGGAGE CONSISTING OF:
- 2 FINS 1 SNORKLE 1 SPEAR GUN
- 1 MASK 1 REGULATOR 1 PRESSURE GAUGE
- 1 KNIFE 1 SAFETY VEST 1 TANK HARNESS
- 1 EMPTY TANK - MAXIMUM PRESSURE 40 PSI

** CHARGES APPLY ONLY IF TANKS ARE INCLUDED OTHERWISE..ONE BAG PART OF FREE ALLOWANCE. **

I hope this information is helpful. We thank you for your continued business. Your loyalty is important to United Airlines.

Regards,
Rich Martin
United Airlines
Customer Relations

I wrote back to Delta and included a cut and past of the American Policy along with the response from United stating their policy. I asked why Delta is so different. And I asked for an explanation for why a snorkel or a set of fins should require $80 for "special handling" when they were packed in my regular suitcase. I finished by requesting a review of Delta's policy, especially in light of the American and United policies.

Here is their response:

Thank you for your reply, and the opportunity to further address your concern.

Regretfully, I do not have any further explanation as to why scuba items require an additional charge. However, we regret your disappointment, and, as mentioned previously, your comments have been sent to the appropriate department head to review. Your feedback will be evaluated and taken into consideration for future use. We are keenly aware that Delta's success depends on our ability to please our customers, and we strive to maintain the highest possible standards in all areas of our operation.

We value you as a customer, and will always do our best to merit your confidence and support.

Sincerely,

Heather Futch
Manager
Customer Care

Maybe if they get lots more letters, it will convince them to change the policy to something more reasonable.

Just finished with my letter... We'll see what happens... Thankfully, Delta doesn't have much of a market in Baltimore.

I sent my Email today. My own little personal boycott of Delta has commenced.
Send your Emails to them and lets' get this changed.

Next thing you know, we'll be forced to sit in the back of the plane, and not allowed to drink out of the same faucets as golfers, hunters, and other excess baggage carriers. There are laws, you know....

sharkman
:guitar:

and pointed out that this was becoming a hot topic on scuba-related internet bulletin boards. I honestly had no idea about this. I have frequently travelled on Delta with gear in a Samsonite hard case, and no one has ever asked me for additional $. Hope they don't trace the frequent flyer number and check me.

While the restrictions and fees are certainly absurd, why would anyone tell the agent that they have scuba stuff in their luggage in the first place? They don't ask anyway.

Unless of course you advertise it with all kinds of stickers on your bags.

I guess what I'm saying is that for me, yeah, it's a dumb policy, but it really doesn't effect anyone unless they're overt about having scuba stuff in their bags.

Send the emails, but let's put this in perspetive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom