DEMA Festival in Ft Lauderdale still on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes... that's simple.

The Blue Wild isn't the whole expo center.

yeah, DEMA obviously isn't the whole dive industry...LOL

I would also like to know who the two individuals were that hold such power over the industry. If these individuals exist, why did DEMA not contact them in advance of their decision?

When I first heard about the DEMA consumer show, my thought was that our two shows could co-exist and didn't give it much more thought. I was surprised to hear they cancelled.

Anyway, the reason I'm on here is because of the post above -- to try and dispel the notion that The Blue Wild is about spearfishing ONLY. I can understand why someone would say that, but I would like to add a little more background. I'm the organizer of The Blue Wild, and I started it as a charity event for my brother's school for the developmentally disabled. I gave 100% of the proceeds for the first few years, and I still give them a portion. It's a labor of love, but it's also a side business which I take it seriously. I want it to be a professional but fun event.

Like most water people, I've been through different phases in my life. At one point, I loved going on scuba trips (went to Roatan, Cozumel, Cayman, Palau Aggressor, etc). During another phase, I liked looking for shells and maintained a saltwater aquarium. Later, I got into a tech diving phase, got trimix certified, dove deep wrecks every weekend for two years. Then, I got interested in freediving and spearfishing. I can tell I'm getting a little bored with it now, and I'm getting interested in underwater photography and videography. My point is that many ocean loving people stay connected to the water, but their interests may change. So I wanted to create an Expo that would appeal to "ocean lovers" -- not just spearfishers.

However, when I started the Expo seven years ago, I was into spearfishing. Naturally, many of the speakers/exhibitors were the ones I was most connected to. However, we also reached out to others. For example, we've had famous fishermen (Bouncer Smith and more), a fascinating sailor/author/motivational-speaker who survived 72 days at sea (Steve Callahan), tech divers (Tom Mount, Joe Dituri, Dan Crowell), medical personnel teaching first aid at sea, Coast Guard pilots and Rescue Swimmers, boat mechanics teaching how to make repairs at sea, kayak experts teaching how to dive out of your kayak, chefs showing us how to clean and cook lobster, and many more topics that weren't related to spearfishing.

This year, we have one of the most impressive marine art collections ever assembled in one place. They range from some young up-and-coming artists to the world-class and famous. I feel like this art exhibit alone is worth the trip -- even for people that don't dive at all. You can also meet Dr. Eugenie Clark and Stan Waterman -- both legends in the sport and very approachable at this Expo -- both doing book signings and talking to people (again, this alone is worth the price of admission). You can meet and chat with Dr. Jose Castro -- a famous shark scientist. You can hear Manny Puig talk about his crazy adventures in the water. You can hear the Coast Guard tell fascinating rescue stories and life-saving advice. We have experts teaching seminars on Intro to Photography and Videography. We also have a fitness trainer talking about fitness for diving and first aid at sea. We are hosting a 2-hour PADI Member Forum for PADI Professionals (and they get free entry to the Expo). We have some Surf/SUP exhibitors, clothing exhibitors, etc. In other words, it's not ALL spearfishing.

Now, I'm not saying there isn't a lot of spearfishing, but our philosophy is to make it an ocean-lovers event, with interesting speakers, practical advice, emphasizing safety, and to bring in a variety of water sports. That's why I labeled it "Ocean Adventure Expo" seven years ago. I have been trying and will keep trying to expand everyone's horizons. I'm very proud of the atmosphere which we've been able to create -- it always feels like there's magic in the air. I'm very open to suggestions on how we can make it better and feedback is appreciated. If you don't want to visit or are offended by the spearfishing part, I respect your position. But I hope you do decide to visit us, and I hope you enjoy!

Sheri,

I have always LOVED your shows. I have always learned a lot at your shows. You can bet that I will be there this year as well!

Pete, you were super supportive from the very beginning -- really appreciate it. Look forward to seeing you!

When I first heard about the DEMA consumer show, my thought was that our two shows could co-exist and didn't give it much more thought. I was surprised to hear they cancelled.

Anyway, the reason I'm on here is because of the post above -- to try and dispel the notion that The Blue Wild is about spearfishing ONLY. I can understand why someone would say that, but I would like to add a little more background. I'm the organizer of The Blue Wild, and I started it as a charity event for my brother's school for the developmentally disabled. I gave 100% of the proceeds for the first few years, and I still give them a portion. It's a labor of love, but it's also a side business which I take it seriously. I want it to be a professional but fun event.

Like most water people, I've been through different phases in my life. At one point, I loved going on scuba trips (went to Roatan, Cozumel, Cayman, Palau Aggressor, etc). During another phase, I liked looking for shells and maintained a saltwater aquarium. Later, I got into a tech diving phase, got trimix certified, dove deep wrecks every weekend for two years. Then, I got interested in freediving and spearfishing. I can tell I'm getting a little bored with it now, and I'm getting interested in underwater photography and videography. My point is that many ocean loving people stay connected to the water, but their interests may change. So I wanted to create an Expo that would appeal to "ocean lovers" -- not just spearfishers.

However, when I started the Expo seven years ago, I was into spearfishing. Naturally, many of the speakers/exhibitors were the ones I was most connected to. However, we also reached out to others. For example, we've had famous fishermen (Bouncer Smith and more), a fascinating sailor/author/motivational-speaker who survived 72 days at sea (Steve Callahan), tech divers (Tom Mount, Joe Dituri, Dan Crowell), medical personnel teaching first aid at sea, Coast Guard pilots and Rescue Swimmers, boat mechanics teaching how to make repairs at sea, kayak experts teaching how to dive out of your kayak, chefs showing us how to clean and cook lobster, and many more topics that weren't related to spearfishing.

This year, we have one of the most impressive marine art collections ever assembled in one place. They range from some young up-and-coming artists to the world-class and famous. I feel like this art exhibit alone is worth the trip -- even for people that don't dive at all. You can also meet Dr. Eugenie Clark and Stan Waterman -- both legends in the sport and very approachable at this Expo -- both doing book signings and talking to people (again, this alone is worth the price of admission). You can meet and chat with Dr. Jose Castro -- a famous shark scientist. You can hear Manny Puig talk about his crazy adventures in the water. You can hear the Coast Guard tell fascinating rescue stories and life-saving advice. We have experts teaching seminars on Intro to Photography and Videography. We also have a fitness trainer talking about fitness for diving and first aid at sea. We are hosting a 2-hour PADI Member Forum for PADI Professionals (and they get free entry to the Expo). We have some Surf/SUP exhibitors, clothing exhibitors, etc. In other words, it's not ALL spearfishing.

Now, I'm not saying there isn't a lot of spearfishing, but our philosophy is to make it an ocean-lovers event, with interesting speakers, practical advice, emphasizing safety, and to bring in a variety of water sports. That's why I labeled it "Ocean Adventure Expo" seven years ago. I have been trying and will keep trying to expand everyone's horizons. I'm very proud of the atmosphere which we've been able to create -- it always feels like there's magic in the air. I'm very open to suggestions on how we can make it better and feedback is appreciated. If you don't want to visit or are offended by the spearfishing part, I respect your position. But I hope you do decide to visit us, and I hope you enjoy!

THIS COULD BE A GREAT PLACE to do a booth display on the evils of Super Trawlers, of Commercial Netting and longlining of fish, and of buying seafood from large grocery chains like Publix , Krogers, etc....With handouts for show-goers to share with their friends...
A great opportunity to turn hypocrisy into advocacy for eco-spearfishing. :)

"Blue Wild Open Ocean Adventure Expo"= Spearguns,spearguns & more spearguns exhibitors/manufacturers..... sorry NOT- for me.

I do agree. Not interested in this equipment and not enough other exhibitors to make it worth our while. Shame

Dan, this is so true! There are so many people who are judgmental about spearfishing and don't realize that the fish they get at the grocery store have usually been caught with nets or long-lines, causing lots of waste, by-catch, and damage to the environment. I've seen it myself. I've watched helicopters circle overhead, guiding the chase boats that were encircling the entire school of tuna with nets and traumatizing the porpoises who tend to swim with them. It was pretty horrible to watch -- and they took the entire school. It was barren afterwards. It was such a stark contrast to what we do. But...the world has to eat. It's a complicated issue.

I do understand that there are some obnoxious spearos who give us a bad name. They annoy me too. But I think that most are nature-loving and law-abiding. Since I became a hunter, I understand and respect nature more than ever.

That really would be great seminar -- throw out some statistics and educational information about the state of the fisheries, the impact from different methods of catch, what all the different countries are doing, what fish to avoid and how we can help, some mercury and ciguatera info, etc. I would love to hear someone do that seminar! I know a good candidate from California for this one. Maybe he'd be willing to do it next year.

Dan, are you coming to the Expo?

I do understand that there are some obnoxious spearos who give us a bad name. They annoy me too.

There are obnoxious people in every activity.

But we have strayed away from the original subject ... DEMA's consumer show.

It was a slap in the face to the locally produced consumer shows by being direct competition.

DEMA was supposed to be an organization to help the industry. When I started back in 1981, they provided our little store with bumper stickers, posters, line art, ad packages, etc at no charge to help us get going. They also used to have the "Ideal dive store" at the DEMA show where I got some great ideas.

I am afraid that we ... DEMA ... have lost our way. The "company" is more focused on making money for DEMA projects. Save the whales, sharks, oceans, etc. are all good and important causes. But DEMA's focus should be more on "Save the Dive Shops".

This show certainly did not do that.

(stepping down from soapbox)
Dang ... when did I get so damn fired up!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom