DEMA- Understand the deficit of ETHICS of what we are dealing with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are they not showing quarries and coldwater diving that really supports the very people they "claim" to represent- the equipment manufacturers? Why are no DEM shows held in the NE or NW? Vegas for chrissakes? There is some great diving off NY/NJ. NC/SC. Seattle. Even LA. I'm sure they could find a place where the unions would not screw the exhibitors for an outlet or a table but they won't. DEMA needs to change it's name to DTA- Dive Travel Association. That is who they are really supporting now.

Let's face it, DEMA's doing the expedient thing and trying to get the most bang for the buck. Showing a bunch of divers going into a quarry is not "sexy", showing a bunch of divers on a colorful reef is. Which scene is likely to pique more interest in the non-diving public and get some new divers into the hobby?

Same thing with the shows, they did the revolving city approach for a number of years, and essentially the first Houston show (the second was cancelled) killed that... they went from 11-14K attendance to what, 8K or so. We dive industry people are just as demanding as the general public, "sexy" sells, that's why the show's in Vegas or Orlando pretty much permanently these days it appears. I'd love to see a show in Chicago, Seattle, Boston, etc. (didn't they already do Los Angeles? before my time, but I think I remember talk of it), I enjoyed the shows in New Orleans and Houston, but it ain't gonna happen most likely, not because it's not a good idea to spread the show around, but because attendance would likely suffer.

At some point, if your resources do have limits, one needs to put the money where it'll get the biggest return. Vegas and Orlando are expensive spots to put on a show, as far as the convention facility goes, but they're not expensive to get to, and staying there is a bargain compared to many other cities. If you're trying to draw a crowd to a show, there's a reason they are two of the top convention cities in the world.

Let's face it, DEMA's doing the expedient thing and trying to get the most bang for the buck. Showing a bunch of divers going into a quarry is not "sexy", showing a bunch of divers on a colorful reef is. Which scene is likely to pique more interest in the non-diving public and get some new divers into the hobby?

Same thing with the shows, they did the revolving city approach for a number of years, and essentially the first Houston show (the second was cancelled) killed that... they went from 11-14K attendance to what, 8K or so. We dive industry people are just as demanding as the general public, "sexy" sells, that's why the show's in Vegas or Orlando pretty much permanently these days it appears. I'd love to see a show in Chicago, Seattle, Boston, etc. (didn't they already do Los Angeles? before my time, but I think I remember talk of it), I enjoyed the shows in New Orleans and Houston, but it ain't gonna happen most likely, not because it's not a good idea to spread the show around, but because attendance would likely suffer.

At some point, if your resources do have limits, one needs to put the money where it'll get the biggest return.

Hmm..I was at the Houston show and recall hearing DEMA get on the PA everyday and announce that attendance was the highest ever at that point. People on the show floor were laughing themselves silly wondering if they got counted as a new attendee everytime they cam back from the bathroom. You can spin it however you want (and DEMA did) but at a certain point a lie is just that...a LIE.

I sure don't recall it being announced that it was busy. It was slow and everyone was acknowledging it. I do remember being bombarded with "come back to Houston in 2 years" at the show, and then within weeks it was announced they'd cancelled it and had to schedule Orlando in back to back years to get back on track with a revolving Orlando/Vegas schedule. There was one show that DEMA was on the PA, it seemed a couple times a day, announcing they were booking the last booths for the next show and how big it was going to be - but I can't say for sure it was Houson or not, but I think it was.

Ah, found it...DEMA's own attendance records 2004 was Houston.

Last edited:
I sure don't recall it being announced that it was busy. It was slow and everyone was acknowledging it. I do remember being bombarded with "come back to Houston in 2 years" at the show, and then within weeks it was announced they'd cancelled it and had to schedule Orlando in back to back years to get back on track with a revolving Orlando/Vegas schedule. There was one show that DEMA was on the PA, it seemed a couple times a day, announcing they were booking the last booths for the next show and how big it was going to be - but I can't say for sure it was Houson or not, but I think it was.

Ah, found it...DEMA's own attendance records 2004 was Houston.

I certainly remember that they were on the PA every day announcing record attendance in Houston, it was my home show. I showed at DEMA every year since 2002, and the Spree was represented since 1990. This will be the first year I haven't shown since then. Is it because I can't afford to? No, I'm having the most profitable year I've ever had. I will actually pay taxes this year. It's because the only way I can send a message is with my feet. My vote doesn't seem to mean anything, my bitching is certainly ineffective, so I'm voting with my feet. I'd love to see a roving show, I hate going back and forth to Las Vegas and Orlando every year. I always thought New Orleans was the best, because it pulled folks from both coasts and the midwest. I'd certainly do Kansas City, Denver, Chicago, Memphis, etc.

I sure don't recall it being announced that it was busy. It was slow and everyone was acknowledging it. I do remember being bombarded with "come back to Houston in 2 years" at the show, and then within weeks it was announced they'd canceled it and had to schedule Orlando in back to back years to get back on track with a revolving Orlando/Vegas schedule. There was one show that DEMA was on the PA, it seemed a couple times a day, announcing they were booking the last booths for the next show and how big it was going to be - but I can't say for sure it was Houston or not, but I think it was.

it was the Houston show for sure I am thinking of. I was with a major at the time and we had several hundred K invested...it wasn't pretty.

They always push the buy next years spot now or you'll miss out. Another lie. I had my EDGE booth by Scubapro, Mares and other majors last year, last min buy. Buying early would have gotten me nothing.

No, I'm having the most profitable year I've ever had.
I wonder where this amazing man advertises??? :D [/self serving plug]

At some point, if your resources do have limits, one needs to put the money where it'll get the biggest return. Vegas and Orlando are expensive spots to put on a show, as far as the convention facility goes, but they're not expensive to get to, and staying there is a bargain compared to many other cities. If you're trying to draw a crowd to a show, there's a reason they are two of the top convention cities in the world.

I agree with this.

:)

Personally, I don't have an issue with either venue. No, I don't particularly care for Vegas, but it is cheap. Both beat the heck out of Houston.

It would be one thing if DEMA invaded the city and did a SCUBA BLITZ while they were there. Then, moving the venue makes a lot of sense as it would be used as a real marketing tool. That would be too out of the box for them, I imagine.

Back
Top Bottom