DEMA - What the hell?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've been engaged in many hobbies over the years. Shooting, fishing, flying, photography, Astronomy. All have trade shows where the industry shows up with the newest stuff for next year. All the trade shows are open to everyone - retailers, and consumers. I've never been able to figure out what this BS is about "only professionals" being allowed into DEMA. Am I missing something here? Is there a good reason why we the consumers of SCUBA equipment and training aren't allowed to see whats new and coming in the sport. I should be a DM by years end so the point will be moot for me, but I still think this whole "professionals only" thing stinks.

I used to be involved in the games industry. They had a "pros" only show, and many consumer shows. The idea was very simple, it's a lot easier for the manufacturers to talk to their distributers/retailers when the whole place isn't also clogged with consumers. Remember - this is serious for them as they are taking large orders for new product, and often setting out order patterns/strategy for the next year. The consumer shows are very different, with many of the distributers/retailers also setting up shop and helping the manufacturers to present everything to the consumers.

I can easily see that the dive industry would also work like that. It doesn't bother me. Maybe the shops etc get to see the new product first, but in the end the consumers have to see it too or they'll never buy it! :D

Kim:
I used to be involved in the games industry. They had a "pros" only show, and many consumer shows. The idea was very simple, it's a lot easier for the manufacturers to talk to their distributers/retailers when the whole place isn't also clogged with consumers. Remember - this is serious for them as they are taking large orders for new product, and often setting out order patterns/strategy for the next year. The consumer shows are very different, with many of the distributers/retailers also setting up shop and helping the manufacturers to present everything to the consumers.

I can easily see that the dive industry would also work like that. It doesn't bother me. Maybe the shops etc get to see the new product first, but in the end the consumers have to see it too or they'll never buy it! :D
Same goes for the HPV trade show in Vegas. The last one I went to was 5 days long with 900 venders from 60 countries and no room for the general public. Sorry, but there is a time and a place for eveything. Dealers just can't compete with the public.

Gary D.

Because I would march in and ask them why they only have girhly mahn single hose regulators, laugh at all of their black on black with black trim only 800 dollars BC jackets and then poke fun at all of them and their stupid tank bangers.

Seriously, it is just more of the keep the consumer out of the loop thinking that the dive industry is famous for, no real tests, no real product comparisons because the dive consumer is not capable of understanding life support equipment and therefore must rely upon the evil PadI's all encompossing wisdom as exposed by their dive "professionals" as if the two can be included in a single sentence without laughing. Not only that but if "product" purchasers (LDS) could guage consumer response (their dive customer) then it might effect their willingness to purchase a truck load of tank bangers if everybody was laughing at them. It is rigged--RIGGED I say!!!

N

This is a very controversial question. There has been some talk about ending this practice, but I doubt it will ever happen. Basically it all boils down to the dive shops not wanting the consumer to know what there wholesale prices are. And this is openly talked about at the Dema show.

Gary D.:
Same goes for the HPV trade show in Vegas. The last one I went to was 5 days long with 900 venders from 60 countries and no room for the general public. Sorry, but there is a time and a place for eveything. Dealers just can't compete with the public.

Gary D.
Exactly. It used to cost me quite a bit in flights and hotels etc to go to GAMA in the US. If I'd had to compete for attention with the public I'd have stayed at home.

Tell me though....DEMA is the scuba trade show, but aren't there shows for the consumers too? The games industry had MANY consumer shows. We had several just in Germany and Holland. I know the US has one called "GenCon" which is huge - but there are many more as well.

SteveC:
Basically it all boils down to the dive shops not wanting the consumer to know what there wholesale prices are. And this is openly talked about at the Dema show.
It's fairly easy to find out what wholesale prices are in general terms. But so what? If retailers can't make profits on their goods - or only the kinds of profits that consumers want to allow them - then why should they commit to bulk buying/minimum turnover requirements to get those prices in the first place?

Then just fulfill the requirements yourself, and sell the excess to your mates! :eyebrow:

The bicycle industry has a professional (non-consumer) trade show: Interbike. While shooting sports have numerous consumer shows, consumers are not invited to the annual SHOT Show. There is a distinct cross purpose between a consumer show and a trade show. One is to create buzz, the other is to layout the product line to retailers/distributors, show new product, get investment $, gather sale projections as well as release timing. The presentations are slanted toward selling large quantity lots, and teaching the buyers (retailers) how to resell and/or service the items to consumers.

While wholesale pricing is not typically difficult to figure out in most industries, most companies would prefer not to discuss these subjects with consumers, just as wholesalers do not discuss landed costs of manufactured goods to their retailers.

Any industry may set up trade shows any way the industry chooses, but the DEMA show is not exclusive, in fact, by allowing independent DMs and instructors, I find the policy much more liberal than other industries

just my 2 psi

Come on, it's not that hard to have a 3 day show with the first 2 days restricted to trade professionals only and the last day open to the general public. I think they're missing the boat with this one.

Back
Top Bottom