DEMA - What the hell?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
... The idea was very simple, it's a lot easier for the manufacturers to talk to their distributers/retailers when the whole place isn't also clogged with consumers. Remember - this is serious for them as they are taking large orders for new product, and often setting out order patterns/strategy for the next year....

I went to DEMA last year as a dive store employee (I'm a divemaster and help with classes and local dive trips). Since my name tag did not say "Buyer", many booths wouldn't pay much attention to me. DEMA is primarily a place for the manufacturers to connect with the distributors/shops.

But don't give up! There are great dive shows for the public. Pick one and go. I'll bet they're just as good if not better than DEMA.

cardog:
I agree. I'm in the auto industry, and I can't imagine working an auto show that was "industry pro's" only! The whole idea is to present your product to a broad base of people and start some "buzz"

SEMA, as you should know, is only for auto pros...

*edit - STV Keith beat me :)

Narcosis:
I've been engaged in many hobbies over the years. Shooting, fishing, flying, photography, Astronomy. All have trade shows where the industry shows up with the newest stuff for next year. All the trade shows are open to everyone - retailers, and consumers. I've never been able to figure out what this BS is about "only professionals" being allowed into DEMA. Am I missing something here? Is there a good reason why we the consumers of SCUBA equipment and training aren't allowed to see whats new and coming in the sport. I should be a DM by years end so the point will be moot for me, but I still think this whole "professionals only" thing stinks.

Let me chime in.. I have been WORKING a booth in DEMA for the last 7 years for ANDI and have been attending DEMA for almost 20 years..

There are plenty of consumer shows.. DEMA is the place to concentrate on working with our main customers DEALERS.. The goal of consumer and trade shows is totally different.. I work both of them.. Even with limiting it to professionals only you are generally still short on time trying to do things right.. The exhibitors need quality time with their dealers, consumers would just get in the way.. Time for most of us is so much of a problem that we usually have to have meetings both before and well after the show each day..

A typical meeting with a big dealer runs anywhere between 30 mins and 1 hour, so there are only so many people you can sit down with...

Narcosis:
I've never been able to figure out what this BS is about "only professionals" being allowed into DEMA. Am I missing something here?

Two things :

1. DEMA stands for Diving Equipment Manufacturers Association - not retailers
  2. According to my calender there's over 10 consumer diving shows in the USA each year - why are you winging there that there is ONE for professionals?

I know that DEMA is for manufacturers and pro's only...

but to answer your #2 question - those consumer shows don't bring out the best of all manufacturers. I've been to many consumer shows and most are travel/tourism related. Only a handful of manufacturers attend consumer shows, and they don't sell things - they just show the stuff (with the exception of a handful of companies).

I'd love to have the attraction of DEMA for consumers only. Consumer-based shows aren't like that.

yukoneer:
I know that DEMA is for manufacturers and pro's only...

but to answer your #2 question - those consumer shows don't bring out the best of all manufacturers. I've been to many consumer shows and most are travel/tourism related. Only a handful of manufacturers attend consumer shows, and they don't sell things - they just show the stuff (with the exception of a handful of companies).

I'd love to have the attraction of DEMA for consumers only. Consumer-based shows aren't like that.

Sounds like a great idea. Why don't you start a new dive show for consumers with all the manufacturers. Or, you could let the organizers of the dive shows near you that they need to include more manufacturers.

I am a dive professional. I have bot attended DEMA, and worked the show for exibitors. As an exibitor you are so busy talking to the retailers who sell your products. That is the reason for the show. For the manufacturers every minute of the 4 day show is spent talking to retailers.

Even after hours there are events to attend where relationships are built, or strengthend. Believe me that after 4 days of this there is no energy left. Also take into account that all of the displays have to be set up before the show, and broken back down after the show. Most exibitors have to travel to get to the show which adds to the chaos.

Let me refine my original statement by saying this.

I understand that dive shops and manufacturers need their trade shows to market and shop talk. I don't really have a problem with that. BUT, I have never seen any other professional/retailer only trade show advertise so heavily in magazines and web sites meant for the consumer. It's like your rubbing it in my face. It's like them saying hey look at what a killer event this is going to be, what a great event DEMA is...oh, sorry, you can't go. I never even new retailers had private trade shows until I heard of DEMA. Obviously the other trades are better at not rubbing the consumers nose in things.

Hemlon:
Fine. I don't want to go to their poo-poo head trade show anyway. (Ok...Yes, I really do want to go.)

DEMA is now just travel, training and trinkets. You can get in, along with lots of other, "professionals", no problem.

lucybuykx:
Two things :

1. DEMA stands for Diving Equipment Manufacturers Association - not retailers
  2. According to my calender there's over 10 consumer diving shows in the USA each year - why are you winging there that there is ONE for professionals?

Manufacturers was changed years ago to "Marketing."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom