Dental fillings and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kardisa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a dive trip planned in a little over a week that I'm very much looking forward to. However, I found out yesterday that I have a massive cavity in one of my back molars and two smaller cavities in two of my premolars. I had the molar fixed with a temporary filling, with the understanding that I would return later this week to get a permanent filling.

The problem is, I have no idea what type of filling I should go with. The dentists in Korea primarily use amalgam, but my dentist said that they can't promise that I won't have air bubbles under the filling. If I want to pay out of pocket, I can get a gold ($$$$) or white composite filling. I am a new diver, but am looking forward to being very active in the future, so I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I've heard of divers having very painfull experiences with poor fillings. I just got off the phone with my brother to ask him about your situation (he is a dentist in San Diego). He said to go with the amalgam. It is very pliable and if the dentist is any good at all there will be no air pockets because the amalgam is very pliable and can be packed in tightly. Also the amalgam will far outlast the white composite. He said go with either the amalgam or gold but of course the gold is MUCH more expensive. When I told him your dentist said he couldn't promise no air bubbles my brother said BS, he thinks the guy jjust wants to sell you the gold and you should get a second opinion. He also said that you may need a crown on the one molar if it is too large a cavity. Anyway that is an opinion which he pointed out is based upon my description of what you said. Not an examination so take it for what it's worth. good luck.

Thank you so much for information (and thank your brother as well!). I took his advice and set up an appointment with a different dentist for a second opinion. When I called, the new dentist seemed optimistic about the amalgam fillings. Hopefully that will remain true after the consultation and I'll return from my vacation unscathed. :p

Hi kardisa,

I am asking my friend and our resident diving dentist Dr. Larry Stein to respond to your inquiry.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi Kardisa,

You description of "massive" cavity is troubling to me with respect to diving in a week or so.

Whenever a dentist has to work deep within a tooth there is the possibility of either exposing the nerve or decay so close to the nerve that it will begin to degenerate. In either case, root canal therapy is a real possibility and that possibility can become necessary immediately at the time of tooth preparation, within days of the preparation or some time in the future.

My own inclination... without being able to evaluate the condition of this tooth would be to recommend that you consider placing a reinforced zinc-oxide/eugenol temporary such as IRM base within the cavity preparation and a glass ionomer cement temporary over it.

The zinc oxide/eugenol is "sedative" to the nerve and the glass ionomer is hard enough to act as a long term temporary. This gives the tooth a chance to recover from the trauma of deep decay and preparation, allows for future evaluation without committing to any particular final restorative technique, allows for a root canal without destroying a permanent restoration and can last long enough to complete your dives. When done properly, there should be no trapped bubbles underneath.

If your dentist there doesn't have these materials, then a simple, unreinforced zinc oxide/eugenol cement can be used with good, old fashioned zinc phosphate cement mixed for use as a filling material. Most dentists have these materials.

If you decide to do a long term temporary filling as described, there is still the risk of needing a root canal and your symptoms could appear while diving. There is no way to avoid this fact.

As to what material to restore the tooth with, basically, fillings are meant for fixing "little" cavities. If the restoration needed to fix your "massive" cavity is larger than about 1/2 the width of the tooth or there is only a shell of a tooth left, then you should consider a gold or porcelain crown. Neither one of these can be done quickly... they require a preparation visit and a separate visit to cement the crown. Just because a filling can be placed into a tooth doesn't mean it is the appropriate material/technique to fix the tooth with.

Typically, fixing a tooth with a filling that really requires a crown will result in an early failure of either the filling material or the tooth. This may compromise the possibility of future restoration of that tooth and sometimes render the tooth non-restorable in the future (there is nothing left to restore once the filling or tooth fails).

The filling may seem quicker or less expensive but when you factor in the fact that you will have to address this same problem again in the future and at best, the next restoration will have to be a crown... if it is even possible... skip the intermediate steps and fix the tooth long term... one time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Laurence Stein, DDS

From what I saw, the cavity was about 1/3 the size of my molar (centered in the middle), but I am unaware of how deep it went. I visited the dentist within a week or two of experiencing pain in that area, so my hope is that I managed to address the problem before it got too serious.

I'll print out your response for reference and see if I can get a friend who speaks fluent Korean to come to my appointment with me on Friday. That might be an easier way to discuss all my options with the dentist, as my Korean ability is terrible.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom