Dependant on a computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least, if divers are capable of using tables to plan their dives and get a "feel" for it (which can only come with actual experience), then by the time they start using computers, if they get something bizarre for an answer, they'll be better prepared to question it instead of blindly following "what the computer says" into injury or death.

Learn to do it yourself, don't let technology make the decisions for you exclusively. It's your life - the computer doesn't really care.

Blue Space once bubbled...
O-ring where did your post go...
Either that or the post was scared of being displayed in public and edited itself... :D

Computers will not get you bent, tables will not get you bent, 'not' using your brain for something other than keeping your skullbones apart 'will' get you bent or worse yet dead.:upset:

pdoege once bubbled...
is more conservative than the SSI air dive tables at all depths except for 120 and 130 feet.

I imagine that most computers are pretty similar.

Does anyone have any actual evidence that computers are dangerously less conservative than tables?

Is this entire thread just a big mish-mash of FUD and elitism?

Peter
I don't think anyone thinks computers are dangerously less conservative than tables...some people just don't want to rely on a computer while diving and choose to do it a different way.

It shows that there are several components to diving a safe profile. Bottom time is one of them, but ascent is also very important. I do deep stops starting at 80% of my max ATA on every dive.

It really is true that every dive is a deco dive, and should be treated as such. A slow ascent to the surface is almost never the proper deco, a few stops along the way are a much safer alternative. Also, doing stops insures that the ascent remains very slow and controlled.

The 120 rule which was discussed in this thread is useful, but at the deeper depths it is not conservative enough, IMO.

Of course I'm not an instructor, this is just what I think and do, the best way to deal with this stuff is to do research and figure out for yourself what shape and rules work for you.

Close Counts, and it's just as Serious!!

Uncle Pug is correct. The U.S. Navy tables - which at one time were the only tables we had - allowed 60' for 60 min, 70' for 50 min, 80' for 40 min, 90' for 30 mins.... You see where the 120 total comes from.

In my experience, DCI is more an art than a science, 'cause You can have two people dive the exact same profile, one suffers a "hit" and the other doesn't. Why? I have been on expeditions where this has happened. When we studied the profiles (from their computers) they were identical. Their profiles were also within acceptable limits of tables and computer algorithms. Why?

Most people who suffer a "hit" are within acceptable exposure limits of BOTH tables and computers. IMHO, Body Hydration Levels AND Ascent Rates are major contributors. You can tell how well Your body is hydrated by Your urine. If it is a relatively clear color, You're well hyrdated (Supplements, including vitamins will affect urine color).
Ascent rates are also a big time influence. You can prove this to yourself, right at home. Take two room temp bottles of soda. Remove the cap from one very quickly and notice the "bubbling" (The amount of CO2 that comes out of solution). Then, open the 2nd bottle very slowly. The "bubble" level will be significantly less. Both bottles have the same gas pressures. The 1st suffers a "hit" solely because of how quickly the pressure is relieved (ascent rate). The 2nd bottle - although still full of dissolved gas - doesn't suffer a "hit" (bubbling). A Safety/Deco Stop is kind of like going to confession - it forgives a lot of sins!

Some liveaboard boats require that Nitrox be dove as though it were air, for one reason only - a safety margin. There is risk in diving. Yes, every dive is a decompression dive. But golf is so damned boring
:D

Back
Top Bottom