Depth watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rebelmarine62

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to diving I just brought a ist 3000 wrist computer. I was always taught to have a backup when diving but computers are expensive. I'm also diving with a single spg no depth gauge. Do they make a everyday use watch that tells time and depth that doesn't cost as much as a computer. Also should I have a regular 200 m watch on when diving?

Go to wally world and get a $25 dollar hand dial watch with a second hand.... Then go on ebay and buy a hand mount depth gauge if you want... As a new diver you should be playing in the shallow sea's... getting your flippers wet... 20-30 feet is all you need to play in... Just to let you know the the dive timer gives me temp, total time, depth , deepest depth ' assent rate, and logs 9 dives... About 250 bucks... the watch was 23.99 and the depth gauge was 6 bucks on ebay...

. 010.jpg011.jpg This is all I have ever taken on a dive... And I been doing this 40 yrs.... :wink:

Jim....

PS... I have put on my fire proof underwear.... Flame away...:flame::stirpot:

Last edited:
After each dive I wait 2 days then pull the button out to stop the Wally World watch (wait 2 days just to be sure no moisture gets in by the button). This conserves the battery. I've heard that once you open these up to replace the battery the cheapo watch is no longer as water/pressure proof.

After each dive I wait 2 days then pull the button out to stop the Wally World watch (wait 2 days just to be sure no moisture gets in by the button). This conserves the battery. I've heard that once you open these up to replace the battery the cheapo watch is no longer as water/pressure proof.

What do you want for 20 buck....:rofl3:

Jim..

And those are Navy dive tables the watches are on...

Why do you need a back up? If doing normal recreational dives with a buddy, then if your depth-timer-computer fails, your buddy has the backup. This has never failed me in 25 years and 3,450 dives.

Why do you need a back up? If doing normal recreational dives with a buddy, then if your depth-timer-computer fails, your buddy has the backup. This has never failed me in 25 years and 3,450 dives.

For practical purposes I agree. The usual reason given is that if your computer fails your analog stuff (assuming no backup computer) tells you depth and time so you can do subsequent dives using tables & square profiles. It's also the mantra that you don't go by a buddy's computer. After gaining much experience, etc., there is also the possibility of solo dives.

My back-up only cost 30 bucks.... Cheap insurance.... And keeps you a self reliant diver.... Never ever count on another diver to save your a$$.... :wink:

Jim...

I bought this watch because we free dive too and I thought it would make a back up for our dive computers. I think it was $89.99 on Amazon
I haven't tried it out yet.
Pyle Snorkeling Master w/ Dive Duration, Depth, Water Temp., Max. 100 Dive Records, Dive Alarm When Emerging Too Fast

I am new to diving I just brought a ist 3000 wrist computer. I was always taught to have a backup when diving but computers are expensive. I'm also diving with a single spg no depth gauge. Do they make a everyday use watch that tells time and depth that doesn't cost as much as a computer. Also should I have a regular 200 m watch on when diving?

I've got a full-size Scubapro/Uwatec 330m Digital Bottom Timer or Liquivision Zen Bottom Timer that I use and a Citizen Aqualand Watch Bottom Timer for back-up:
Citizen Diver Depth Meter Promaster Cyber Aqualand JV0000-01E

The only thing I don't like about the Citizen Watch is that if it's water activated & you stay in "Ready to Dive" Mode for more than 30min (you're delayed for whatever reason for 30min before descending below the surface on your dive), it will "error out" and lockout the depth meter function for the day. The fix was to keep it from getting wet on the boat ride out to the dive site, and then put it on right before splashing for the dive. . .

IMHO you only need one source for your dive's time & depth on ordinary recreational dive (maybe 20m max, no special challenges). This would be for example 1 computer, or 1 UWATEC bottom timer (shows depth too) or 1 depth gauge + a timer. Your backup is your buddy's t&d source.
This plan does require the disciple to dive only if you each have your own time and depth source, and you both end your dive if you lose the buddy or the buddy's t&d source or your own t&d source. => Always cut a chain of unfortunate events at the first link, i.e. when the 1st thing goes wrong. For pity's sake never start a dive when the 1st thing has already has gone wrong.

Back
Top Bottom