Desperately need Utila travel advice…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

possumdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howdy folks,

First of all, thanks to all of you for the wonderful advice over the years. I have learned a great deal from lurking around on the SB. My wife and I have a honeymoon dive trip booked at Laguina Beach Resort, Utila, April 15-22, ’06. The resort is booked, and the international flights are paid for.

At this point, we are having problems booking our local flight connections from Tegucigalpa to Utila on Saturday,April 15th. Is it normally this difficult to book the local flights in advance during the holiday? Is this even possible? I realize that this is a big national holiday, but my wife is a school teacher, so we are limited to traveling during this time due to her spring break. The people who booked the resort said that they are trying to find the local flight connection options, but it has been a few days, and the balance on the resort is due. I am getting nervous. I did purchase travel insurance, but we are really looking forward to the trip, and I would hate to have to cancel.

If we can’t book flights, what are the chances of making it to Utila from Tegucigalpa (flight from Miami arrives 12:15 P.M. on Saturday April 15), during the holiday, without reservations? Does the whole contry shut down? Should we try to make it to LaCeiba and then take the boat the next morning? This is a big trip for us, and I would hate to leave anything to chance if I can avoid it. Any ideas or advice that would help us book our local connections would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I have the same problem - I've organised a large group to stay at Deep Blue resort from April 29th - May 6th, and I have 3 divers who have arranged flights with AA into Tegus.

If you're flying into Tegucigalpa on the Saturday morning/early afternoon then the problem is not necessarily the holiday. The local airlines changed their schedules a couple of weeks back (apparently without warning), so that their afternoon flights from Tegucigalpa now get to La Ceiba too late to connect with the flight from there to Utila.

Deep Blue have told me that there's a local company, Celine air, which has a 4-seater charter plane, that can fly people across from La Ceiba, so they're looking into arranging that for us. Might be worth finding out whether you can get as far as La Ceiba on the Saturday afternoon, and at least booking that. If the worst comes to the worst, you could stop overnight at the CocoPando resort (www.cocopando.com) and travel on to Utila early the next morning - this is what my 3 people may have to do, if the Celine air charter plane isn't available.

It might also be worth phoning or emailing the local travel agents on Utila yourself - see http://www.aboututila.com/TravelInfo/World-Wide-Travel/Index.htm

Also talk to Roatan Charters: ph 800-282-8932. They stay current on local flights and will help you for free.
jumping-smiley-027.gif

I am surprised that you are not flying from Miami to San Pedro Sula. Then down to La Ceiba.

The flights from La Ceiba are run by SOSA and Atlantic airlines. Perhaps you could get a bus from Tegus, if you have the time.

I will be making my third pilgrimage to Utila on April 1 for three weeks. I have a similar problem as my flight from JFK has been changed and routed via San Salvador! This also means I will probably miss my connections and have to stay in La Ceiba overnight.

Once you are there, you will see it is worth the hassle to get there! Have fun, and maybe see you there?

Even if possumdiver took the Hedman Alas bus out of Tegus, it is a 8.5 hour trip. You would have to change buses in SPS then go to Ceiba from there. there would be no way to catch the connecting flight to Utila.

Hedman Atlas bus will take 6 hrs to SPS and about 3hrs to la Ceiba check on the www.taca.com if there are flights that can connect you from tegus to la ceiba this is also the easter period so the country goes a bit crazy because alot of people travel to the islands and the coast so busses must also be reserved. Maybe you want to check if you can change your original flight that might be the safest option.
Have fun in Utila.

We have family business in Miami prior to our international flight, so we are locked in to having to travel to Honduras on on Sat. April 15. According to Roatan Charters, they can get us to La Ceiba to take the ferry that afternoon. No guarantees, but that may be the best we can do. If so, it's an adventure, we'll just roll with it and do the best we can. We are still exploring possible charter options. Anyway, thanks for all the kind advice, and happy diving.

Sosa added a few afternoon flights, so our problem has been resolved, and we are much relieved. We are now booked on Sosa flight #75 Tegucigalpa/Utila @1:30 PM (through LaCeiba) on Sat. April 15.

Accourding to Utila Tours, the airlines were holding off from adding flights on the holiday until they had a better idea of the demand. I think properly applied pressure from our tour opterator helped speed things along, so my regards to Utila Tours. I also want to thank Roatan Charters for their advice.

We are excited, and really looking forward to the LBR Utila trip. I'll post a full report when we get back. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom