devils throat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Axeman

Contributor
Reaction score
has anyone heard of a dive called the devils throat. I think it is near the Myan Riviera.

my buddy raved about it once and I am looking for some details on what it is and such.

Thanks

Its in Cozumel off Punta Sur. It is a deep dive. You enter the swim-through at about eighty feet and dump out over the wall at 100 to 120 feet depending on which way you turn at the end. I was offered a light before the dive and decided I was too macho to need a light. As we entered the swim-through I wasn't intimidated until it got dark. . .I mean really dark! I lost sight of the DM in front of me and literally could not see my hand in front of my face. I decided I would give it one more fin kick and at that point saw where the lip of the swim-through floor had been hiding the down and out part of the tunnel/cave. Great dive. You spill out over the wall really deep. My Suunto Fusion turned the dive into a deco at the end but it is really conservative. Don't miss this dive but make sure your bouyancy and deep skills are sharp. Some dive ops (the better ones IMHO) will not take you there unless they have checked you out and are confident of your skills.

Sweet dive. I'll be doing it again in 3 weeks!!!!

I remember it as pretty dark too. I was videoing (Quite the task through the "throat") and some of it didn't turn out. (I didn't bother to bring any lighting....hey it's warm, and sunny, what did I know????)

From my dives and from others, I gather there's two parts to it. One is the throat, the other is the Cathedral. The "Cross" is at the cathedral entrance/exit.

I have dove the site only twice..1st Cathedral, 2nd definately the throat. She's pretty tight when you don't want to touch any coral!!

Oh man I'm getting excited already !!!!!

Tell them ya wanna do Punta Sur!!!!! My Max depth was the Cathedral at 140ft. (OK I was below the hole)

:tongeout:

Axeman once bubbled...
has anyone heard of a dive called the devils throat. I think it is near the Myan Riviera.

my buddy raved about it once and I am looking for some details on what it is and such.

Thanks

Like others have said, it's off the south end of Cozumel, neat dive. Implicit in their remarks, I hope, is that it is not a dive for novices. Dive safe.

Hi Axeman,
Nothing new to add, just another diver who has done the devil's throat dive. It is all they said- a great dive, and one for divers with some experience in deep water, and dark swim throughs.
Hope you get the chance to do it!
Good Luck,
Mike

whether it's at 70' or 110'. It was longer than most, and interesting, particularly when we met a group going the other way, but not what I'd call a "can't miss it" dive.

What impressed me more was the huge bright white sand basin that we drifted over immediately after exiting Devil's Throat. The incredible visibility combined with the large distances to really emphasize the 3D flying-through-space aspect of the dive.

Charlie

the long tunnel, but that is definitely onr of the highlight's of the dive. The actual "Devil's Throat" is a very tight drop off that requires excellent buoyancy control.

Right after you go through the tunnel (the tunnel is approximately 50 ft long, and is dark), you turn up to go into the cathedral. When you get to the cross, you go left and then left again (you are headed back towards the wall). Right as you are about to exit the cavern, you take another left into a small opening. THIS is the "throat." It requires you to swim into the opening, drop straight down (by exhaling basically) and exit to your left...shaped like a throat...sort of a downwards u-turn for lack of a better description. Once you drop down and turn left, you are now back in the cathedral area. You'll see the cross again and then there are several paths to take from there.

It is definitely NOT a dive for novices and I NEVER take anyone there without diving with them at least a day or two first to assess their skills. This dive requires excellent air consumption, buoyancy control, and a computer...no exceptions.

Thanks for the info. I will def check it out next mexico trip.

this year we are headed to Cuba but already planning a mex trip for next year

Another tricky thing about Devil's Throat are your divemates skill and how many of them. I wouldn't want to do the dive if there were more than 6 in the group and since it is a50 ft dark tunnel, hopefully your divemates won't silt up the place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom