devils throat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do any dive ops offer trimix and double 80's down there for some of these dives?

NOW YOU'RE TALKIN' CNIDAE

Yeeeehhaaa

Rock on buddy.

I'd give my left testicle to "have at her" with a set of doubles to do my own profiles!!!!!

Arrrgh, I gotta go soon.....

Hmmmmm 2 dives to 200ft for $90.00.

IF I could only bring my own gear without breaking the weight rules :)

Anybody know how much extra 2 sets of 104's 4 canister lights, stage bottles and camera gear would cost me?

hehheh

Call me a freak, but I don't feel the need to use other peoples gear at 200ft.

I can always dream.........

I typically don't dive Nitrox on wall dives period...especially if I am leading the group for the very reason that if I DO have to help someone at a deeper depth, I don't want to put myself at more risk. I have dove Nitrox on Punta Sur to enjoy the reef a little longer, but I did not do the throat.

cnidae...these dives are not technical dives and there is no need for doubles or trimix...unless of course you want to do a truly technical dive at these sites. The key is to watch your computer and be a responsible diver.

I am not necessarily condoning this, but it is a fact that it is not unusual for people to go into a minute or so of "deco" on this dive depending on their computer...going several minutes or more into deco is another thing...but that is a very controversial subject that I would prefer not to get into here. I will say that my computer has given me a mandatory 10 ft stop on this dive, but but depending on who you talk to, that is not a true "deco" stop by definition, it is simple a required safety stop. Regardless, I do graduated stops at 1/2 my max depth anyway, just to be more conservative, even if my computer hasn't put me into "deco." Safety stops on this dive are usually around 10 minutes for me.

Bottom line is that it is the divers responsibility to watch his/her computer and dive the dive accordingly. If you DO go into a few minutes of "deco" then do the appropriate stops and make sure that your computer totally clears you before ascending. You should try not to let it happen, and if it does, learn from it for the next time.

I always add to my briefing for this dive that no one is obligated to stay at my depth, meaning they can ascend shallow if they need to. Additionally, I have them communicate with me when they are approaching their limit, just so that we all know what is going on and I can profile the dive based on the most conservative computer in the bunch (which is usually mine...UWATECH SmartPro set on micro-level 4).

Anyway, I probably said too much...but like I said, this is a very controversial subject.

Be a responsible diver and watch out for yourself and your buddy!

any truth to the rumour that the entrance to devil's throat is a tight fit, and getting tighter?

i'm not a small guy, and would love to make it all the way through, rather than just part of the way...

there seems to be some disagreement or confusion on this board as to where the actual "Throat" is. Here, among all of the DM's I know (including myself) the "tunnel" that drops off at 116 - 120 is not the actual throat. It is definitely a highlight of the dive, but this is not the actual throat. The throat is a small crevace that is a straight drop down and is very tight. See my description in an earlier post in this thread.

10/18/03 Blue Angel Diver took our party to the Devil's Throat and saw the "White Cross". Its at the Punta Sur reef off CZM. After comming out of the throat it is about 118 to 123 depending how you exit the opening. If you take a camera make sure it will take that depth! I'm 225lbs and had no trouble with the tunnel, take a light, it will get dark.

Hey Christi, please fell free to correct me (And then prove it by tking me there YEEhAA) (No, I'm no loose cannon :D )

My thinking on the site, (from only diving it twice) was that the "Cross" was in the "Cathedral", which isn't neccessarily done when doing the "Throat".

My first dive was the Cathedral (I missed the damn cross, I must have been narced, but I was 2nd to last guy in, so the procedure of showing the guy behind you, was lost by the time it came to me. The seconf dive I did on it was definately the throat.

We went into it from the "top". Kind of two "L" shaped deals, pretty tight, straight down (The first "L") and then down and through (The second "L" shape). Yeah, a throat!!

As far as I know, we didn't do the Cathedral when we did the Throat.

My thinkiing would be, at 225lbs, you'd be scrubbing the "walls" a bit :)

There is a whole section of Punta Sur that is referred to as the Cathedrals. Unless yo plan to do a true deco dive, you cannot do the cathedrals AND the throat. HOWEVER, the Cross is in "little cathedral" (which isn't so little) and is usually done with the throat.

The way I do the dive, is start off by going down the tunnel, come out at 116-120...enter "little cathedral"...when you hit the cross you turn left to go into the throat...this brings us back into little cathedral and we exit a different way...so you have 2 chances to see the cross the way I do the dive....

After we do the throat and exit...this is usually when I have to check air and computers on everybody to see if we can do another little section of caverns or if we need to start making our way up. It depends on how quick you can get through that first section and if there are any other groups holding you back.

I never take more than 6 people, but try not to take more than 4 for this reason as well...it's a better dive with a VERY small group!
Make sense?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom