Diana Nyad - like/dislike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen Diana Nyad for too many years going on about her personal accomplishments. Now she's attempting another Cuba- Fla swim. Not adding to her cause is my wife's personal experience as a collegiate swimmer - she was discouraged from being on 'her' team unless she fit the prevailing mold. Pretty cheesey.

I guess I'm sick of seeing her self promotion and personally wish she would just go away and do something that doesn't involve building her ego, or stoking for the advertisement dollar.

Nyad defies age, fatigue, jellies on marathon swim - CBS News

I guess I'm sick of seeing her self promotion and personally wish she would just go away and do something that doesn't involve building her ego, or stoking for the advertisement dollar.

I thought that was the American Way...

Actually I think a few swimmer do the Avalon to Palos Verdes swim every year.

Cheers. I didn't know that. PV to Avalon sounds more appetizing than swimming to San Pedro, or Long Beach (ick). Interestingly enough the grad student doing the GPS swim didn't make a world announcement about it. :luxhello:

BTW - No surprise....the jellyfish stings Nyad encountered made her 'quit' the swim. :dork: Didn't her team know that currents and jellyfish abound? Last time it was asthma. I think the time for her to garner press for herself at age 62 is closing. That said - I am sure she'll reappear in another format. Maybe, a dancing contest or sumthin.'

Being a professional in a non-major sport is a tough row to hoe, I know a bunch of such folks, fencers, equestrians, swimmers, track, etc. You have to make your living by marrying well, inheriting, coaching or self promoting (kinda sounds like a lot of recreational diving, no?). But anyway, most of those folks are also very driven and the combination can be a little overbearing, at times, but I'd recommend that you look at their accomplishments, enjoy them for what they are, and cut them some slack.

I don't know what kind of stings Nyad got, but I was hit across the back by a cubomeduse off Lee Stocking Key in the Bahamas during a submersible recovery operation and it left me in so much pain that I couldn't even get out onto the swim platform at the stern of the ship. That was over twenty years ago and I still have a light scar. Nyad has my sympathy.

I was hoping she'd make it this time. I'm much more impressed by her physical accomplishments, especially considering her age, than I am distressed at her self-promotion. In another lifetime, several decades in the past I thought my ten miles in the Gulf of Mexico was a feat -- and I was sixteen.

Stuff a pillow in it Mr. X.........

I doubt she'll try it a third time but if the does all I can say is....

GO DIANA!!!!!

I thought this was her third try? At least they didn't kill any sharks this time. Nearly but it got away.

Being a professional in a non-major sport is a tough row to hoe, I know a bunch of such folks, fencers, equestrians, swimmers, track, etc. You have to make your living by marrying well, inheriting, coaching or self promoting (kinda sounds like a lot of recreational diving, no?). But anyway, most of those folks are also very driven and the combination can be a little overbearing, at times, but I'd recommend that you look at their accomplishments, enjoy them for what they are, and cut them some slack.

I don't know what kind of stings Nyad got, but I was hit across the back by a cubomeduse off Lee Stocking Key in the Bahamas during a submersible recovery operation and it left me in so much pain that I couldn't even get out onto the swim platform at the stern of the ship. That was over twenty years ago and I still have a light scar. Nyad has my sympathy.

Cheers Thal. I think wearing a competitive skin suit would have helped? I guess what colors my opinion of Nyad is my wife's personal experience at a major university where Nyad was a coach. Her coaching/recruitment was patently discriminatory.

X

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS: Can she get a "3" on the PADI DM 400 yd./meter swim test?..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom