Did I just goof? Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darian Dunn

Reaction score
I just confirmed my airplane reservations and Hotel room for the Caymans. Then I looked at the Map. Notice I didn’t get that in the correct order. The Hotel is in Tortuga and all the dive sites on my map are on the other end of the Island. I have found one dive shop on this end of the Island (Tortuga Divers). Are they any good? Do I need to drive to the other end of the Island every day?

Condo http://www.morritt.com/Morritt/New/morritt_main.htm
Dive shop http://www.tortugadivers.com/packages.htm

I was hoping to get my Advanced open water Cert. after following the other thread, but those dive shops are on the other end of the Island.

Although a good many of the dive sites are located West and North, there is great diving in the East End where you are staying. Tortuga Divers will have instructors that can do your Advanced Cert.and they are a good operation. So, no worries! Have fun!

DD, I just want to remind you that Cayman is NOT a big island. Maybe 7miles long (or something to that effect). So don't let the fact that things are at "one end or t'other" bother you.

Just go & enjoy, mon! :)

~SubMariner~

Darian,
Try to get them to take you to Babylon, a sight on east end of the north wall. AWESOME DIVE!!!

Actually, I believe that Grand Cayman is about 25 miles long as the crow flies and 7 miles wide at is widest point. It's only about an 8th of a mile or so wide at it's thinnest point (North Sound area). Still a small island. From Morritt's it takes about 30 minutes to drive to the West Side of the island and about 10 minutes to drive to Rum Point Northside. And the scenery is beautiful!
Have fun!

Originally posted by SubMariner
DD, I just want to remind you that Cayman is NOT a big island. Maybe 7miles long (or something to that effect). So don't let the fact that things are at "one end or t'other" bother you.

Just go & enjoy, mon! :)

~SubMariner~
actually GC is about 22 miles long and approcimately 8 miles at its widest point.

Darien,
The diving on the east end of cayman is more pristine and you have a better chance to meet large creatures but it comes at a price, the water is usually rougher than the west side of the island which usually resembles a lake.

Traveling from the East end towards the west isn't that bad, Cayman has some traffic problems during morning and afternoon rush hours on the west side of the island.. Do rent a car and you can dive the west side without having to dive clear across the island.. Sunset House is on South Church Street before you reach georgetown.
They have 4 dive boats with depatures starting at 8am (then catch a shore dive off their reef and visit their statue)

Definite thumbs up for Cayman Dive Lodge. Went there last year and am going back again at the end of Feb. I can't say how the diving is on the west end, but we did have waves every day on the east side. Anywhere from 1-4 ft, although mostly about 2 ft. Not to bad from what I hear.
Dmentia

One more, Caymans question: One of the Tour books I am reading tells me I “NEED” to book my dives several weeks prior to going to the Caymans. Is this a true statement?

I have never done this on any of the other places I have dived. I usually show up look at the place get to know the staff and then make my decision as to how many dives and when.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom