Did Something Really Stupid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Hive Mind.

Did something really stupid. I forgot to unscrew my macro lens from my housing two weeks back, and now it's stuck. Any thoughts on how to get it off or am I stuffed?

Thanks!

Careful use of heat and cold usually works on seized alloy pneumatic speargun parts... pouring hot (not boiling) water over the affected area then running under cold tap. Spray some light silicon oil into the threaded area and it should wick in.
Repeat a couple of times.

The other thing is you need a 'soft' way of holding the filter firmly without distorting it... I use one of those silicon egg rings :D

Silicone egg ring.jpg

Assuming salt water dives?

How long have you soaked it? I would start by giving it a day or 2 in a pail of fresh water.

Then try more brutal stuff starting with a few light taps.

Careful use of heat and cold usually works on seized alloy pneumatic speargun parts... pouring hot (not boiling) water over the affected area then running under cold tap. Spray some light silicon oil into the threaded area and it should wick in.
Repeat a couple of times.

The other thing is you need a 'soft' way of holding the filter firmly without distorting it... I use one of those silicon egg rings :D

View attachment 471551
Any recommendation on type of oil? I've got tons of bike lube...

Assuming salt water dives?

How long have you soaked it? I would start by giving it a day or 2 in a pail of fresh water.

Then try more brutal stuff starting with a few light taps.
I just wet it - not soaked. Will soak though.

Any recommendation on type of oil? I've got tons of bike lube...
No lube. Unless you are really sure you know how to clean it off the lense without scratching it...

I'll leave it a few days, then rinse with hot and cold water, and see where we're at. :)

Is it a 67mm threaded lens?
If so a soak in 50 degree celsius water for 5 minutes and turn the lens anti clockwise with one of these?
$10 bucks from your local auto parts store
upload_2018-7-29_11-27-10.png

You missed the perfect opportunity to tell your wife/girlfriend. . . Scubaboard told me the only way to get the lens off was to take it diving. :cool: Best possible way to soak the threads. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom