Did the instructor short change me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of curiosity, is this instructor affiliated with a dive shop or is he independent?

I will agree with all of those above - this character should be reported. If PADI, I will attest that you need at least 4 open water dives! What about confined and knowledge development (theory), how many of each have you done?

Sadly there a few characters like that out there, I have been in a similar position, but not quite as bad, it was a learning experience...something which made my upper level training much harder. I know appreciate the reasons for implementing the standards and proceedures in my courses, and I would never dream of cutting a course short.

Unfortunately such activities do the whole dive industry bad. It gives it a bad rep and it increases the likelyhood of accidents, which in turn will make people think that SCUBA Diving is unsafe...which we all know it isn't once proper training has been obtained.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened, and I would suggest you take action to have the person reported.

Do keep diving!

I appreciate everyones input so far! I knew when I started this thread it could open up a can of worms. I don't think I understood just how big.

I guess my feeling on reporting this instructor is that, yes, it needs to be done. But, how do I do it and remain annonymous. Also, will my certifications and other divers certifications be revoked.

I do understand reporting him may save a diver from an accident or at the extreme death. I am just not sure how to deal with all that could come back to me.

For my own reasons I am not going to give specifics on who, where, when etc.... I do not want to come off as a whining ninny or anything and I have not embelished on any of it. My concerns came to light after a bad dive experience lately. Nothing too serious, but nothing too fun and realizing while diving with some experienced divers that I was lacking a little more than I thought.

I amy opt to end unit240 as member and sign on as someone else. I will let you know before I do that.

thanks, later.

Unit240,

Why would you consider changing your member name because of this? This is not the first time that a thread like this has been started and the responses are always the same. These post only indicate that the members of this board are deeply concerned with the overall safety of the dive industry.

Whatever the experience that caused you to question your training was, it has also opened the door to your being able to know what you need to work on. I am a realitivly new diver and while I feel I recieved good training, with each new experience I understand how much more I have to learn.

Also, the instructor probably taught you everything that was required but didn't give you the time to practice that you deserved and paid for, thus violating agency standards and putting himself at a high risk of liability. Just remember the skills that he did teach you and practice them on your own as much as possible.

Any questions you have post them here or use the local resources that are available. Heck if you want you can call me and I will talk to you about anything you want from skills to agencies to what the temp was in the water I dove yesterday.

PM me if you want to talk. And let me know when you can go diving with us.

Chad

Don't change! We love you just the way you are! :D

Seriously tho - so far I don't have any problems with what you did - you were aware enough to figure out that there might be a problem and wise enough to get advice.

I agree totally with what ckharlan66 has said. Yeah, you touched a nerve with the whole training issue, but that is a big issue on this board.

I can't help with the reporting process but I'm sure that one of the real instructors can help you out.

Dive Safe, Have Fun.....

Originally posted by unit240
For my own reasons I am not going to give specifics on who, where, when etc.... I do not want to come off as a whining ninny or anything and I have not embelished on any of it. My concerns came to light after a bad dive experience lately. Nothing too serious, but nothing too fun and realizing while diving with some experienced divers that I was lacking a little more than I thought.

I amy opt to end unit240 as member and sign on as someone else. I will let you know before I do that.

thanks, later. [/B]

You have nothing to be ashamed of and your not whining
Don't sign up as some one other than unit240 it took guts to post this and I would be proud to dive with you anytime. You will not lose your certifiation and you may save a life.
Keep up the good work:)

Originally posted by unit240
I appreciate everyones input so far! I knew when I started this thread it could open up a can of worms. I don't think I understood just how big.

I guess my feeling on reporting this instructor is that, yes, it needs to be done. But, how do I do it and remain annonymous. Also, will my certifications and other divers certifications be revoked.

I do understand reporting him may save a diver from an accident or at the extreme death. I am just not sure how to deal with all that could come back to me.

thanks, later.

If it was a PADI class, you can report it directly to padi Hq at
1800-729-7234, and ask for the quality assuracnce or training departments. It is important to give as much information as possible. PADI will keep your information private (the instructor wount know who reported him/her).The first step padi will do is send questioneers to everyone in your classes and depending on the results they may expand the investigation.
If you haven't had your skills assessed properly in a OW situation, how do you know you are capable of doing so? I would find another instructor and fill him in and maybe you will be able to tag along with a class of his for a smal fee.. many of the AOW dives can be done by indirect supervision so thats not a violation, however if the Deep dive wasn't directly supervised by an instructor that is a violation, if you used a wreck dive that also must be directly supervised..
Dangerous instructors must be reported diving has no room for shortcuts. PADI wount revoke your certification but if you are worried it seems that you are unsure about your competance..

a few years back. i got screwed to say the least..
i went for my master diver cert and the instructor with a group of other diver some doing advance, some new in scuba were all on the trip. well the instructor assigned buddies and told everyone on the boat what they had to do.. well my buddy was getting the same cert as me. we signed off each others dive log.
well when it came time to get my cert card my instructor said well i didn't sign your book i didn't visually see you do any of the assignments i can't certify you.. my thought is well then why assign me a buddy why take on so many students on one trip and not be able to visually spend time with each.. the instructor said i'd have to repeat the dives in his pressence... which cost me another $1000 to go on one of the trips his has planned.

once on the trip the instructor again had several students he was certifying. to say the least it was a repeat from the first trip..

since then i don't trust anyone and don't go on any trips, i strictly deal with major LDS. a few bucks more but at least i know i don't have to take a trip at $1000 a pop to get certified.

Back
Top Bottom