Did you ever say NO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most memorable time I decided not to dive purely because I didn't like--or feel comfortable with--what the dive op was doing. It was a shark dive that involved watching a group of sharks feed on a barracuda caught earlier that day.

Everyone else had fun and came back safely, but I just didn't feel comfortable with how the dive was set up or with feeding the sharks. I do not regret being the only one left on the boat to this day.

Sure,but we don't start out with a 1000+ dives :shakehead:
So maybe you can think back 980+ dives:D

I know I've had some bad dives I shoudend have made 25 years ago :no

Going back 980 dives would still leave me with over 250 solo dives. If I were to go back to the beginning, I still didn't do guided dives. Avoiding guided dives has nothing to do with number of dives, but everything to do with attitude and acceptance of personal responsibility.

yep, i have. spent 3 hours getting to the dive site on the boat, didnt feel like it so didnt do it!

sometimes its just not right and i seem to have an unhealthy respect for my life!

Have any of you been following the news about the Chicago marathon and all of the injuries as a result of the heat? Same thing seems to apply here. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it ! If peer pressure is going to keep you going, maybe you should find some different peers. I got into this (very recently) for the fun, if something is not right, then it's not fun anymore, Time to try again another day.

If peer pressure is going to keep you going, maybe you should find some different peers. I got into this (very recently) for the fun, if something is not right, then it's not fun anymore, Time to try again another day.

I don't think calling a dive with a DM would be that big of a deal if the DM is a good one. It's the peers that I'd be concerned about. My 13 year-old daughter called a dive on us three weeks ago. She didn't like the size and look of the surf and said that the surge would probably knock us around once we got down.

I wanted to go (because, in my opinion, even a bad dive is better than no dive) but she stuck to her guns. We stayed out. We talked to some divers who came out 30 minutes later and they said that conditions were poor, low vis and they got pushed around by the surge.

I learned my lesson. Don't be afraid to call a dive no matter who your dive buddy is if you don't feel safe. Also, if someone else doesn't feel safe, let it go; call the dive and look for a better day or place.

I wanted to go (because, in my opinion, even a bad dive is better than no dive)

Your daughter is right. A bad dive is much, much worse than no dive. On a bad dive someone is hurt or killed. Don't ever be shy about calling a dive. My last day of my last Bonaire trip, I wasn't feeling 100%. I could probably have made more dives with no problems, the conditions were excellent, but it wasn't worth the chance.

Well, I don't get up if it is raining and I'd rather stay in bed.

I have noticed people get really bugged on group trips, even if they are not your buddy and it does not effect them.

Vacation means doing whatever you want..

I am the happiest if I get somewhere and scope out the fact that the boats are not full and I can decide day by day, even try different operators.

A bad dive is much, much worse than no dive. On a bad dive someone is hurt or killed. Don't ever be shy about calling a dive.

That is precisely what I learned and was glad that I learned it on the beach and not in the water. All levity aside - after considering the circumstances for just a moment, I realized the potential gravity of the situation and have learned a very important lesson.

Back
Top Bottom