Didn't pass swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a similar question. For our continuing upcoming class I was told we have a time limit on the swimming and that has me concerned because I am comfortable and steady but not fast. Part of this might be due to a shoulder reconstruction, but I don't ever recall setting speed records. Any recommendations how to get faster?

Well you are a determined one, I did all my swims doing a back float because swimming isn't one of my strengths. At least PADI says you have to swim it, it doesn't say how, so think about it, you aren't timed so take your time and enjoy counting ceiling tiles. I did some side stroke and when I got tired went back to rest with the back float.

Supernal:
Well, I failed the swim test on my first scuba lesson.
Many have problems with the swimming test even if otherwise fit. Unless you actually swim, the muscles used and the neural programming get a bit rusty. I also discovered my self-taught technique totally sucked. The tips I culled from the Total Immersion folks were invaluable. It sounds like your problem is mainly one of technique. The conditioning part comes from just doing it. Having personal lessons as you are is probably more motivating than doing it on your own. If you can swim a half hour everyday you will be able to do the length in 2 to 3 weeks easily. I think your attitude is right and you will soon be up to speed.

I thought the swim test was 200 m

I guess it depends on who is certifying you. Our swim test was 400 meters and timed.

Hey supernal, don't sweat it. Swimming is a great way to get back in shape and to get started in SCUBA. I would not like to be out in the ocean without the ability to swim a little ways. Commit yourself to doing it and don't make excuses. When you are able to dive you will feel all the better for overcoming a personal challenge.

-V

IDD doesn't require a swim test.

Vayu:
I thought the swim test was 200 m

I guess it depends on who is certifying you. Our swim test was 400 meters and timed.
...-V

PADI standards are 200m swim, 400m mask/snorkel/fin. Neither is timed until DM level.

DiverBuoy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernal
... a back stroke.

really? wow none of the dive shops I've ever worked for allow this ... hmm.

hijack

It's the whole jacket v. back inflate thing...

/hijack

For CMAS P2 we had to swim 200 meters with wetsuit/mask/fins/snorkel and 500 meters in full gear (snorkel breathing). Both were timed.

Cheers
Bojan

I wasn't even aware I was being tested for swimming, but we snorkled at least 200m with full gear just to get to where we descended. I'm not a strong swimmer, but it was no big deal. maybe because I didn't know it was a test....
I just arranged swimming lessons anyway because the aerobic exersize will help for carrying the tanks!
Supernal, stick with it---when it finally happen right, it's heaven!
BarbaraSHW

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this, but let me tell you my secret, as I really don't enjoy swimming that much (I'm alergic to all the things that blocks my breathing). What I did was to put my back in the water and then move my feet, I wasn't in a hurry. It was not a race, so if everybody had to wait, well, they had to, as good buddies they were. And if the person in charge tells you that's ok, you don't have to worry, as you're looking at the ceiling of the swimming pool area, you just need to move your feet.
That was my secret, and finally I passed.
I hope you can copy this and get your swim test passed in your second try. Don't quit, and try again, next time you'll pass it, you see.
Cheers,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom