Diesel Mechanic wanted...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparky30

Contributor
Reaction score
OK.. I did something stupid.. I bought myself a trawler to go diving.. charter boats just didn't give me the freedom I wanted and my current boat was too small...
The problem is that the diesel in it hasn't run in about 5 years.. It was running back then... I don't know a whole lot about diesels, so I'm looking for a diesel mechanic in the Brighton/Trenton area.. Someone with Volvo Penta diesel experience is preferred and he'll have to travel to the boat, as the engine isn't running...LOL
The more I think about the more nutty it sounds.. what did I get myself into.. Ugh..

Ah, another owner of a hole in the water. :D I'm not a diesel mechanic, but I've had a pick up with a diesel and have a sailboat with a diesel, so I know a little about them. Number one, does it turn over? If it's seized, then just plan on replacing it.
If it turns over, empty the fuel tanks (properly dispose) as old fuel will cause you grief. If possible clean any grunge out of the bottom of the tanks. Replace fuel filters. If it's just got the spin on type, replace em with a Racor water separating type. I'd suggest pulling the injectors and having them cleaned/calibrated (look in the yellow pages under "fuel injection"), although you could wait on spending the dollars till you can get it started.
After you get the fuel system cleaned up and some fresh diesle in the tanks, you will have to bleed the fuel system. Usually there's a handle and a bled plug on the fuel pump that will let you pump manually. Once you get fuel that far, you need to bleed it right up to each injector. Any air in the system WILL cause you grief.
Once you've got the fuel system in shape, and a fresh LARGE battery attached, it "should" start. As long as you have fule, air and compression, there's not much else. Most marine engines don't have glow plugs (looks like a spark plug, except they're all onthe same wire), if it does, I'd go ahead and replace them all right away.

One thing to be very careful with, if you have wet exhaust, while you're cranking the engine, the water pump will be pumping water into the exhaust manifold. There will be a "waterlock" muffler there to collect it, but if you spend too long cranking, it "can" back up into the exhaust valves and that is a very bad thing. If you're in the water, you can have a second person stand by the intake valve and leave it shut until the engine actually starts to fire (running with it closed will cause problems very quickly). If you're on the hard, you will need a big pail of water (5 gallon) and a live water hose. Route an intake hose from the raw water pump to the pail, fill the pail. Have your helper hold the hose and drop it into the bucket as soon as the engine fires. You should have water exiting the exhaust system within a few seconds of the engine firing up. If not shut down and find out why. After 5 years of non use, I'd strongly recommend replacing the impeller in the raw water pump right away (I'd actually recommend buying a spare, any gaskets required and having the tools on board to change, kind of like a save a dive kit, it's part of the save a trip kit).

If you'd like to continue this you can PM me for an email address.

Kent

Good luck

In all likelihood the diesel fuel tank will have to be pressure blasted clean & the entire system de-gunked. That's in addition to what Groundhog said.

Yes, algae (etc.) DOES grow in diesel fuel. And unless you have the tanks thouroughly cleaned out, all the leftover gunk is going to wind up clogging up the fuel system. Regardless of those great Racor filters.

After that make sure that you keep an eye on the fuel and religiously put the right biocide in it to keep it clean.

Been there, done that... don't like the T-Shirt at all! :(

~SubMariner~
Former o/o of a 43' Hunter with 50hp Perkins diesel.

Sparky were in Trenton is it.....
Please don't tell me you bought Glen Miller's old boat.....
PM me and I'll come and have a look at it.
The perkins I had in "Bubba" hadn't run in 4 years and I just cleaned it up, much like what groundhog told you and she's still running 11 years later M.N.R uses it up north doing fish counts.
let me know when you'll be around. Next sunday "Vicki Marie" is going in so I can't do it then but monday is ok.

Actually its in Brighton.. sitting in a field/lot behind a fish processing plant.. its looks really roough right now.. put nothing that some tender loving care couldn't fix.. I just hope the engine isn't seized.. everything else is minor.. I do have to do some welding.. found a 2 inch weak spot .. the good thing is its not structural.. its was in the only spot that wasn't primed.. I still have to inspect the fuel tanks, but I have a feeling they are shot. I wanted to put n platic tanks anyway.. lighter than steel..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom