Difference In Dive Gear Brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info guys. It's good to see so many helpful people all in the one spot. I didn't realize that about titanium. The dive instructor/shop owner told me that titanium was just fancy and I didn't really need it if I looked after my gear. The Apollo gear wasn't the one with the titanium in it sorry, it's chrome brass. Here's a link to their gear:
scubaonline.com.au/onlineshop/default.asp?Catagory=162&ProductType=1
They apparently make gear for the military as well. One of the guys BCD is 6 years old and his boots 4 years and they still look good condition and he dives a few times a week.

Still trying to grasp on how there's different gear for different diving. Obviously commercial and recreational is different but much difference in regs and BCD's for them to be used in different situations. I realize you would need better gear for deeper depths but wouldn't that gear work the same in shallower water? Or am I missing something? Thanks heaps for your help so far

A warm water reef dive that remains somewhat shallow requires the least amount of gear whereas a deep, cold, dark wreck or cave requires much more and purpose specific gear.

Do you have a specific gear question?

I realize you would need better gear for deeper depths but wouldn't that gear work the same in shallower water? Or am I missing something?
As I understand the question, you are asking if gear that performs well at depth ('better gear') would perform equally well on shallower dives. Yes, it certainly would. I think some of the answers you have received so far have indicated that there may be specialized gear, intended / best suited for specific situations (which may often include deeper water), that may be more expensive and not essential for shallow diving. But, that gear should function appropriately on shallower dives. Also, some of the advice you have received suggests that it is possible to overspend, and I agree with that. Overspending can be a matter of the value of a particular brand / model compared to price, as well as the value compared to function. If you are going to consistently dive 88 degree water, at depths of 30 feet, you may deicide that you want to spend $200 on a 3mm wetsuit, rather than $1500 on a drysuit. The drysuit can be used, but its value is not necessarily maximized. If you are diving a single AL 80, with a backplate and wing, you may decide that you want a smaller (lift capacity, and silhouette) wing than you would if you were diving double steel HP 130s. Could the larger wing function with the single tank - yes. It is not as efficient, most people would not prefer it, and you might find it more difficult to control trim, but it would still provide bouyancy.

Being a dive shop and online shop we pretty much start the gear discussion with : What is your budget, Type of diving you will be doing, and in your case will my shop get me a better price with a keyman discount from a manufacturer as a Divemaster. The latter is a good reason to continue your education. Short of that I see allot of good information in this thread that will help.

Welcome to Scuba and I hope your enthusiasm continues to blossom. Nothing better than a new diver who is fired up.

Well I don't really have a budget as I want to get the right gear the first time and have it last. So I don't mind spending the money without going overboard. So far this is the gear I'm getting:

Boots - Apollo all terrain boot
: S C U B A o n l i n e : Online Store

Fins - Apollo Bio-Fin XT

BCD - Apollo Bio-Lift SQR

Reg -? Still unsure of what to go for. There's a "Apollo BIO A-110" made from "ultra-high tensile aluminium" or a "Apollo BIO A-210" which is "satin chrome plated marine brass". Would there be any difference between brass and aluminium?
A-110 - : S C U B A o n l i n e : Online Store
A-210 - : S C U B A o n l i n e : Online Store
Also can anyone suggest a good reg? I'll hopefully get to compare the apollo with one of the zeagle regs this Sunday.

Gauge -? I'm thinking of a suunto computer with a gauge like a Suunto Cobra 2 with a SK-7

Mask -? Not sure. I already have one but I would like one with a better viewing range and better quality. Any ideas?

Any suggestions on gear would be much appreciated. I will be diving deep and shallow and doing a bit of everything. So I may aswell go with more technical gear without getting too many gimmicks.

EDIT: For some reason firefox doesn't work so well on the links I gave so you mite have to use IE.

Well I don't really have a budget as I want to get the right gear the first time and have it last. So I don't mind spending the money without going overboard. So far this is the gear I'm getting:

Boots - Apollo all terrain boot

Fins - Apollo Bio-Fin XT

BCD - Apollo Bio-Lift SQR

Those rock boots look pretty sturdy. Remember that if you choose to go with a neoprene boot later you'll need a smaller fin size.

I love the Apollo bio split fins. Really comfortable in the water and on my feet.

Those fin prices look pretty steep!

G'day there - welcome to the board!

If you are only ever going to be diving near your local dive shop, if that shop will always be around and will still be dealing in Apollo in 10 years time and if you are certain you will never ever move anywhere else, then maybe go with the Apollo reg.

Otherwise go for a reg that most shops anywhere can service for you: mares, scubapro and apeks all make great regs, which can be serviced by most shops in Australia and around the world. The service kits for these regs are also easy to get in, even for older models.

I didn't know Apollo made regs, and most places outside Australia and Japan will have never even heard of the brand. Being a small market you also have to ask yourself will Apollo still have spare part kits for your particular reg in 10 years time?

Personally I would hire your regs and computer for a while, and read some of the hundreds of 'which regulator' and 'which computer' threads on this board.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Reg -? Still unsure of what to go for. There's a "Apollo BIO A-110" made from "ultra-high tensile aluminium" or a "Apollo BIO A-210" which is "satin chrome plated marine brass". Would there be any difference between brass and aluminium?
Anytime you can get ultra-high tensile aluminum for anywhere near the same price as satin chrome-plated marine brass, jump on it!

Just kidding. This is the sort of marketing bs that 4sak3n warned you about in post 2. Utter nonsense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom