Differences in computer ascent recommendations between buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Follow the most conservative computer.

Same as with tables. And personal limits. Respect the most conservative one. Case closed.

But is an elective deep stop more or less “conservative”?

Hi @Jcp2

If you want your ascent procedures to match, as closely as possible, I would have everyone turn off deep stop and designate a 3 min SS at 15 feet. For no stop diving, what difference does it matter if there are small differences? You know that you could make a direct ascent to the surface at a normal rate with no stops?

Yes, safety stop not mandatory. Off to fiddle with our computers. Now I just have to remember to ask when I dive with someone new what their practice is and let them know what mine is.

Shearwater has an adaptive SS, generally 3 min at 15 ft, 5 min if below 100 ft or within 5 min of deco.

Good point: I wasn't thinking of the situations where you're pushing limits. Do some agencies train to this longer standard with deeper or more borderline dive profiles? Something in the back of my head makes me think so.

(Or does it matter in "Basic SCUBA discussions?")

Shearwater has an adaptive SS, generally 3 min at 15 ft, 5 min if below 100 ft or within 5 min of deco.

For the Shearwater Perdix set for OC rec there are 6 settings for safety stop: none, 3 min, 4 min, 5 min, countup, and adaptive. The countup setting counts time up from 0 once the SS range is entered. This allows padding extra time beyond 5 minutes.

To the OP: if there is a chance you could slip into deco you might be able to set both computers for the same last stop depth: either 10 or 20 ft.

Hi
I think you are overthinking the matter...
As Stroker said, follow the most conservative and that is it.
As "to trust and follow my computer", for me is not a sign of good training... a computer is just a tool to give you information for you to decide what to do; not the other way...

To the OP: if there is a chance you could slip into deco you might be able to set both computers for the same last stop depth: either 10 or 20 ft.

This is a point I think is worth repeating.

What can happen is a Shearwater user with a 6m ceiling and another with a zone from 3m to 6m, so they are forced to be at exactly 6 and it is as pain.

This is a point I think is worth repeating.

What can happen is a Shearwater user with a 6m ceiling and another with a zone from 3m to 6m, so they are forced to be at exactly 6 and it is as pain.
Can’t one do slightly under 6m and the other slightly above 6m ?

They would still be close for emergencies ?

Can’t one do slightly under 6m and the other slightly above 6m ?

They would still be close for emergencies ?

Yes, but it is a pain.And the one with the 'normal' computer looks at you like you are an idiot, which might be true. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom