Different approach to tank isolation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a concept valve a few years,I think it was by dive rite,that would allow isolation in such a way that you could break down your tanks even under pressure,but it never went to production. I would consider something like this if there was a lot of valve issues with an isolator,but there isn't. Plus adding more valves adds more failure points,and a convoluted mess during emergency gas shut down. I like the KISS method of cave diving.

It's the system from Lola, although Diverite might resell them. In Europe and especially in the Czech republic (home of Lola) this valve type is fairly common. People that I know who have them seem to like them.

R..

Diver0001, since you seem to know of this manifold, could you explain it's features?

It appears as though the side valves shut down the respective regulators, while the top valves seem to shut down the individual tanks without shutting down the regulator. Is this correct?

The one on the side controls the regulator, the one on the top controls the isolator. It's just like having a manifold with two isoloators instead of one.

I think the reason they did it like that is because the older Lola system didn't have a steel manifold. It used what looked like a fill-whip to connect the tanks together. Thta's why the isolator is on the valve and not on the manifold bar.

R..

I gotta agree with Karstdvr. I see no reason to add an extra failure point. Sure it works if that's all that is available.. but I see no real advantage over the standard rig. Sure, sure, it's just another way you could change your tanks around, but it doesn't seem neccesary. KISS indeed!

sure it has problems.there is now a redundantmanifold valve. I'll stick to the dive- rite model.The one nice thing about your version is that you can isolate the manifold on each side and still have the use of each tank's gas.If the manifold is damaged say to slamming a cave ceiling or wreck piping, ceiling etc.the manifold can be isolated away from the tanks. Hmmmmm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom