different compressor help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barrmust

Contributor
Reaction score
So I went and picked up another compressor yesterday. I am trying to figure out exactly what I have. The compressor is labeled with a posiden label and then a mako name plate. The pump is made by bauer. The mako data plate reads:

Mako ka/51
ser # 2/181
cfm 5.1
RPM 1800
PSI 3200

On the bauer block 2/181 is stamped into it.

It has a 230v single phase 5 hp motor on it.

Can I pump more than the 3200 psi with it? Would that hurt the compressor? I would like to pump 3500 at times.

So is this a capitano? What version? The cooling tubes are finned if that makes any difference. The compressor runs fine and pumps air.

Is there anything I should look out for? I would like to continous blend with the compressor-would this be ok?Also any idea what these things in running condition go for? Just wondering how I did on the price. The owner also is going to throw in a DSAT blenders course with the purchase for free.

Last edited:
The "Mako" K51 was a Bauer Capitano Block. Keep in mind that Bauer has always owned Poseidon. Jordan Klien used Bauer compressor blocks for the original Mako products. When Bauer started building their own packages in the US, Mako switched to Compair (5404 and 5405 blocks) and Revell blocks.

Craig

Hi Barrmust,

your block is a Bauer Capitano manufactured in 1972 (Craig gave great info above about the history of Mako and Bauer). However, i'm unsure of the modification of the block because the block number should have two more digits at the end "2/181/02". perhaps this block was manufactured before the first modification. Also, I've never seen a Capitano with finned cooling tubes, but this is great! Finned tubes will cool better.

Your compressor should have no problem running up to 5,000psi. However, I checked with my filtration expert and he needs to know what filter number you're using and if your purification system is the original system that came with the compressor before making any judgement. Also, this added pressure will put more stress on the compressor and it will have to be maintained more often (valves, rings, oil, filters, ect).

To raise the pressure, give your pressure switch a quarter turn to the right, then bleed some air out of your system, do this until you reach your desired pressure. also be aware of the relief valves, if they start popping off under normal conditions, turn them to the right until they stop, then give them one last quarter turn.

Again, i need to know your filter number and if this is the original system. Also, The continuious blending question needs to be addressed by the OEM.

Thanks!
Gabe

I can answer it for the OEM, and save him the trouble of contacting Bauer.

NO!

But then that tends to be Bauers answer to any question about any use other than what they intended. And why not? They have nothing to gain by saying yes, except possibly increased liability.

But while Bauer is not going to endorse continuous mixing (actually, there is an old letter from Bauer floating around in which they say it's ok, but they have since repudiated it) hundreds if not thousands of Bauer and other similar oil lubed piston compressors are being used for continuous mixing all over the world, using either commercial mixers of DIY ones like our $50 OXY HACKER continuous mixer with generally good results. Those few incidents which have occurred generally seem to be caused by careless operation. However oxygen is always perverse and unpredictable, so no one who knows what they are talking about it going to tell you it's completely safe.

Also, The continuious blending question needs to be addressed by the OEM.

To expand on what Vance said, when I asked about continuous blending at my local Bauer service facility, without skipping a beat, the tech said, "sure, put synthetic oil (Bauer synthetic/Chemlube 800) in it and keep it (oxygen level) below 40%."

So they KNOW people are doing it.

And you don't see the compressors going boom if you follow those two guidelines.

Thanks for the info guys.

I am in the process of building a nitrox stick from my oxy hacker book right now. I figured blending through the compressor was ok. It has synthetic oil in it right now and the previous owner has used synthetic in it for a long time.

So will this thing really go to 5000 psi and be ok. I would be happy with 3500 psi since that is what I have for tanks. I am assuming I wont hurt the compressor?

I am not using the original filter system that came with the compressor. I have a filter system that is rated for 5000 psi and will filter 84,000 cf of air. It is from another compressor that I have. It has 4 towers, 2 tall and 2 short. It uses lawrence factor filters.

Thanks for all the help.

Russ

Be careful what you state about max pressure. Remember that when this unit was made, 2250 with a 10% overfil was the norm. With higher output pressure, the inter-stage pressure also increases. Not only might the inter-stage safeties not handle the increase, I would seriously consider what the final stage separator/filter tower has as a max.

Craig

...It has synthetic oil in it right now and the previous owner has used synthetic in it for a long time...
Russ

They were adamant; use ONLY Chemlube 800 (the Bauer synthetic is just rebranded), not Chemlube 751 or anything else because of the higher flashpoint of the Chemlube 800.

So here are some pics of the compressor. Tell what you think or know. Also where can I buy chemlube 800?

Attachments

• IMG_4277.jpg
    IMG_4277.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4279.jpg
    IMG_4279.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_4288.jpg
    IMG_4288.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_4282.jpg
    IMG_4282.jpg