'Different' Curacao sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All right...you guys sucked me in...I don't know about different dive sites, but....(you're going with your wife, right??)...o.k.. Try the San Juan sites (Playa Shon Mosa, Playa Manzaliña, Playa Largu, Playa Chiki). They are down a long rough road with turn offs to each site. I traversed it very carefully in a rental car. No facilities, take a days worth of tanks, pack a lunch (you won't want to drive over the road more than once, in & out). What you'll get for your trouble are beautiful little coves with small, isolated beaches. If you go during the week, you'll have at least one of them all to yourself. Short kick out over the sand to very nice diving. Wonderful way to spend the day with your significant other. I hesitate to say it, but if you catch it right, it's idyllic Caribbean. If your SO is adventurous, you'll be well rewarded...enough said. :wink:

Last edited:
I have to second Adivingbel's suggestion of spending a day the San Juan area. Entries were incredibly easy and swim out was short. Reef's were vibrant and healthy without any other divers. While Cas Abao doesn't offer premium diving compared to San Juan and Playa Kalki, the beach is hands down my favorite in the world. The people at B Diving were amazing. Facilities clean and well maintained. I will definitely go back. Several years ago I went on a dive on the East End with Dive Charter Curacao. The coral structures were healthy and pristine. Our dive group was on a zodiac with a small group. Due to severe seasickness, I would not be able to do this again. We always do shore diving in Curacao with one exception, Watamula. Skipping Watamula would be blasphemy:wink: It is nothing short of stunning. Go West makes it so easy. You can do it as a one or part of a two tank dive. Watamula is a 5 minute boat ride away. The house reef of Playa Kalki had always been consistent in offering premium dives. The people at Go West are wonderful to work with and will provide a wealth of information.

Disclaimer: It has been 2 1/2 years since I visited Curacao, so if things have changed, my apologies. Hoping to return soon.

Last edited:
@choiahoy - thanks for the starting this thread. Back to Curacao in November and putting our shore diving list together for the week. Thinking of starting in the west and moving eastward as the week moves on. As we stayed in Lagun last trip the west got most of our attention but perhaps a comprehensive list of ' different ' sites and access points is in order.I will find my logs from last trip and see what can be added

Last edited:
Skipping Watamula would be blasphemy:wink: It is nothing short of stunning. Go West makes it so easy. You can do it as a one or part of a two tank dive. Watamula is a 5 minute boat ride away. The house reef of Playa Kalki had always been consistent in offering premium dives.
Agreed. On our trip in Jan there were six of us and Gowest could not have been better to work with. Our only boat dive was a 1 tank PM to Watamula which we specifically requested and booked in advance. It was only us and the DM and I think the DM enjoyed the dive more than we did which says something about the dive. Would and may do it again. On another thread it was suggested (and I think it makes sense) that if you are just coming to Gowest/Playa Kalki for a day rent the tanks from them. Renting from them avoids lugging tankz down and up from the parking area and eliminates any fee for using their facilities. Would make a nice day trip. Either shore dives in the AM, lunch at the beach restaurant and 1 tank pm or a two tank am, lunch and shores dives in the PM.

Last edited:
It was only us and the DM and I think the DM enjoyed the dive more than we did we says something about the dive.

Was the DM Victoria? She's certainly "over the moon" about Watamula. I can't say that I blame her. It's a beautiful dive. :)

Agree that mushroom is not what it used to be, but with blue room it can be interesting. I loved doing watamala and especially elvins! The wreck itself is not worth it... Nothing much left of it.

This is all great info. The San Juan sites sound great and right up our alley.

Pier at Tugboat. Directors bay.... + 1 more for tugboat wall. If Conditions are good you can drift from Directors Bay to Tugboat and do the Pier for a few minutes. I use Curious2Dive. Convenient and knows the island.. Search

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom