Different instructor’s name on card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I took up a course recently with an instructor but when the ecard arrived in my email, his name was not on my card but another instructor’s! Is that even possible or allowed?

What Cameron said. In my experience, that usually happens when there is some issue with the instructor involved. Most often it is that they weren't renewed at the time of training, which is a simple admin issue but still not allowed. Sometimes, however, it can be a more nefarious issue, in that the person was not authorised to teach the course ( I have seen DM's and Assistant Instructors conduct an entire course alone, and then some other instructor's name goes on the card)

Sometimes a certain instructor needs a number of certs in order to get an MSDT or equivalent, some operations will give them the credit even though another instructor did the work.

None of this is condoning the practice, it is NOT OK and you should take it up with the shop, if no joy then with the agency QA department. The reason I said shop first, is that if it was a genuine admin error (process a bunch of cards and someone puts the wrong name) I would like to give them the chance to fix it first. If you get any response other than "oops, so sorry, we will fix that right now!" then get onto the agency.

I have no idea about the liability issues if you dive on a card you know is wrong, i imagine insurance companies would love that.

Good luck!

It is wrong. And it is suspicious. You definetely should write to the certifying agency. If it is a Padi certification, you'll receive a survey. One of the questions of this survey is:

It is the certifying instructor the one that did the last dive with you?

Or something like that...

Please answer no. But make sure is not. In my case Gery is a nickname and some students contacted me when they see Gerard in their cards. But if you are sure it is not the same instructor... Then we all profesionals will be thankful if you report it.

Happy bubbles

Gery
www.scuba-legends.com

In my part of the world, charlatans do this so that they, uncertified instructors, can offer bogus courses to the public and buy c-cards from other certified instructors crooks for the students they train. The end user gets a c-card for the BS course they took with somebody claiming to be a dive instructor but isn't and the card will have the name of the other instructor who sells this card to fake instructor.

This is isn't the case all of the time, there could be some more legitimate reasons for the dive center to do this but this is one scenario taking place in my area. There are a lot more active fake instructors than there are genuine instructors here. One of these charlatans who ran a scuba summer camp here was teaching mainly teenagers and wasn't a certified instructor at all. He bought the cards from another instructor in a different city over 200km away. He even ran courses later to do diving to 30 meters depth. I consider all of these activities by all involved in the scam as criminal activities and not just ethics and standards violations.

Definitely worth following up on.

Best case - simple admin screw up.
Worst case - something nefarious going on and it needs taken up with the agency that purportedly issued the cert.

My OW was completely taught by the DM's assistant instructors. I briefly met the guy whose name is on my card after we finished our last dives and test, he was teaching a different class. Never seen him before or since.

FTR, the guy who actually taught my OW was a very capable diver, looking back I still have high regard for him. Can't say the same for everyone I taken a course with.

not true, depends on the agency

That's an important distinction. With 200 plus agencies perhaps some do not require the certifying instructor to do the instruction.

I was answering the specific question related directly to the OP. Provided his info is correct I believe it is true.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-06-12-36-14.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-06-12-36-14.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 79
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom