Different Tank Sizes, Please Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I found an ad on craigslist for two lightly used steel pst lp95's for $250. One of the tanks appears to be about 1 1/2" taller than the other. The markings on the tanks look almost identical.

DOT-3AA2400
1A 560895
81 4-96+

DOT-3AA2400
1A 560188
81 5-96+

The seller is the original owner and stated that he bought them both at the same time and is certain that they are both lp95's. It does not make sense that two tanks from the same manufacturer could have different lengths. I think that the taller one is most likely a lp104. Am I correct or is it possible to have a different exterior size? Is this a good deal, they both need hydro/vis inspections? I was thinking about getting them, but I am too not keen about having two different size tanks.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Looks like the hydros are out of date. The markings 4-96 and 5-96 sound like the original hydro date. Do you see any other hydro stampings? If not, they need hydro.

When were they last visually inspected? If the last hydro was 4-96 or 5-96, they haven't been inspected in years. Not such a big deal with aluminum cylinders, however, steel cylinders are much more susceptable to failing inpection due to corrosion.

At that price, I would make final sale contingent upon passing hydro and current inspection sticker. Other you may have two expensive paperweights.

If the seller is a diver, he should understand your concerns. If the seller makes a stink about hydro/inspection, he is hiding something.

I know that both are out of hydro/ vis, and the seller said he would give a full refund if they don't pass. The seller stated that they only have about 10 dives on them, and they have only the original hydro date. Both tanks have been stored with air in them. My main question was the difference in size. Both tanks have the same boot, and same valve. I was pretty sure that to tanks, especially from the same manufacturer, couldn't have different outside measurements and have the same capacity. I am not sure if I am just being silly about the difference in size, but I like diving with the same size tank. I would have to change my weights between dives for correct bouyancy.

I had also heard that it is hard to get the hydro to recertify the +, but I don't know if that is just a rumor.

Last edited:
I've bought some "pre-owned" tanks before and this is exactly the route to follow.

1. Agree on a price that includes VIP and inspection.
2. Take tanks to dive shop for inspection and VIP.
3. If they pass, I pay for inspection and VIP and buy the tanks from the current owner.
4. If they fail and all they need is a tumble, we split the cost of the tumble and follow #3.
5. If the tanks are too far gone, the owner pays and I'm done.

If the owner balks at this, walk away. Too many deals around to wind up with "paper weights". Good luck and dive safe-Brishar

Typically you'll see slight variations in height on tanks of the same capacity but 1.5" is quite a bit.

Save your self the head ache, just buy brand new tanks. If you're buying used tanks you should know what you're looking at. If these are your first tanks your buying then you have no business looking at them unless they are from a friend who dives with you.

Ask to take the boots off and measure them. At least for Faber the difference between a lp95 and lp108 is 3"

Cylinder Specifications

Failing that do the cylinders have REE numbers? they should be same if they are the same capacity. If not they are probably different cylinders.

The numbers I listed above are all of the numbers I found on the tanks. Is the 81 the REE number? I guess I am a little lost about how to find the REE number. Please help. The tank with the serial number 560188 is the taller of the two tanks. I have been searching (google) to find where the REE number is, but I can't find any sites that explain where it is. The only difference in the numbers I located on the tanks are the serial numbers.

If you don't see something that reads "REE" followed by a number, it simply isn't there.

That doesn't always matter because the manufacturers publish the REE numbers and the hydro shops know what they are. You only care about REE for two situations:

1) without a REE number, you can't get plus rating and the nominal capacity is reduced.
2) verifying that the tanks are identical and you already know they are not.

I really think you have a LP 95 and a LP 104.

Other than price, do you know WHY you are buying LP tanks? You're in Calif so you probably can't get them overfilled. You need to move to Florida for that. Have you looked at the full weight and buoyancy characteristics? Are you diving from a boat and worried about short fills on HP tanks?

Otherwise, HP tanks are lighter, smaller for an equivalent volume, have better (perhaps) buoyancy characteristics and are terribly expensive. The most common being the HP 100.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom