Different taxi rates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm keeping enough pesos on hand to get me thru the first day or two. Then hit the ATM for what will be needed for the rest of the trip. I was using dollars for the DM/captain and maids tips.
As I recall, the shuttle service vans from the airport to the resort charged only in dollars, but not sure.

The ATM's usually give you a decent exchange rate depending upon who you bank with but there's usually a fee assessed and because of that I usually exchange USD for pesos at one of the cambios. Over Christmas the airport cambio was only offering 11.45 but the one at the Punta Langosta Mall was offering 12.25. I think the cambios may make better sense when taking the ATM fees into account.

The ATM's usually give you a decent exchange rate depending upon who you bank with but there's usually a fee assessed and because of that I usually exchange USD for pesos at one of the cambios. Over Christmas the airport cambio was only offering 11.45 but the one at the Punta Langosta Mall was offering 12.25. I think the cambios may make better sense when taking the ATM fees into account.
There's a charge there, too, in the exchange rate. I don't remember what the ATM charge was last time I was there, but it wasn't much. The ATM fee is a constant, too, no matter how much you take out, while the cambios take a percentage. I think you come out best by making a few large withdrawals from an ATM.

There's a charge there, too, in the exchange rate. I don't remember what the ATM charge was last time I was there, but it wasn't much. The ATM fee is a constant, too, no matter how much you take out, while the cambios take a percentage. I think you come out best by making a few large withdrawals from an ATM.

True, the cambios definitely make some money on the exchange and some offer better rates than others. I think it's something everybody has to look at and decide what works best for them. I prefer changing a lump sum of $$'s for pesos right off the bat as I think that works best for my situation.

I purposely have a bank account that rebates all ATM fees - even international. But the last few trips we stayed at Fiesta Americana and they will change currency for no fee. Surprisingly, they also had he best exchange rate we saw compared to anything posted in and around town.

Why do you ask? If cab drivers give the locals a break, what's the difference to us?

None that I know of. I'm just curious cause it suprises me at the number of locals taking cabs to and from the super market. I know they aren't rich and cab rides are one of the very most expensive modes of transportation, so I just wonder if the locals have a different fare system to make this affordable for them.

None that I know of. I'm just curious cause it suprises me at the number of locals taking cabs to and from the super market. I know they aren't rich and cab rides are one of the very most expensive modes of transportation, so I just wonder if the locals have a different fare system.

Many don't own cars, just scooters. It could be that you're seeing non car owners from way back in the hood making a weekly or biweekly trip to the big market for a big haul that would be cumbersome to carry on foot or on scooter. The taxi ride is just built into the shopping budget.

Yeah, Mike, I'd bet many locals get breaks, if not only those created by being friends or familiar. I'd equate it to someone having a transit card or other discount card - which some tourist destinations do have for residents.

Hey, I think someone sent your weather down here to Georgia. Will you please call it back home?

I'm keeping enough pesos on hand to get me thru the first day or two. Then hit the ATM for what will be needed for the rest of the trip. I was using dollars for the DM/captain and maids tips.
As I recall, the shuttle service vans from the airport to the resort charged only in dollars, but not sure.
Why tip in USD? If you tip the same amount in Pesos, it saves them having to exchange, altho tipping in either currency is still appreciated I am sure.

I think the airport van tickets are priced in MXN & USD both.
The first time I used an ATM there, I requested 50 - and got 50 Pesos rather than the 50 Dollars I wanted. :( Felt pretty dumb but just did it over. I think the fee was less than a buck.

The first time I used an ATM there, I requested 50 - and got 50 Pesos rather than the 50 Dollars I wanted. :( Felt pretty dumb but just did it over. I think the fee was less than a buck.

Been there and done that. Paid the stupid toll and moved on down the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom