Digital Pro Flash + Shutter Speed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xyrandomyx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a DC 1400 with the Digital Pro Flash. I've been having trouble with overexposed/ washed out images, so I decided to experiment a little with the flash and exposure settings on dry land.

I turned the external flash's brightness setting down as far as it would go. I set the Scene Mode to ExtFlashMNL. I set ISO to 100, aperture to F7.9 and shutter speed to 1/60. I took a test shot from about 1 metre.

I then changed the shutter speed to 1/125. I took another test shot -- it came out brighter/ more exposed. I set the shutter speed up further to 1/250 -- the shot was even brighter.

How does this work? My understanding (I'm a complete beginner, so I could be entirely mistaken) is that the shutter speed only affects ambient light, not the flash. So I was expecting to either see no difference or a less exposed shot (due to ambient light).

No replies here, so I started another thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/443460-external-flash-shutter-speed.html. The replies there and some more fiddling have led to two new questions:

- In ExtFlashMNL Scene Mode, is everything in manual mode or is there something else I'd need to switch off to get to a full manual mode?
- Does the power setting on the external flash adjust the power entirely, or does it just fine-tune automatic power adjustments?

Thanks for inquiry. We are in the process of researching the issue and will reply ASAP.

Thank you very much. I also posted a similar question in the general UW photography forum:

www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/443460-external-flash-shutter-speed.html

I mentioned in that thread that after some more experimentation (and ruling out a few possibilities), it seemed to me as if the camera is automatically setting the ISO (even though it's been manually set 100). I can't be 100% certain, but the increase in digital noise as the shutter speed is increased makes it seem quite likely to me. Thought I'd just mention that in case it helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom