Dilemma, how to handle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300

Contributor
Reaction score
I had lunch today with a new coworker. During the course of our conversation we discovered we're both divers...another small-world-syndrome moment.

Naturally, we traded diving histories, she's been certed for about 1.5 years, but hasn't dived much (~25 dives), and I've been involved for, um, considerably longer, have been to a lot of nice places to dive, and am working my way through several technical certifications.

She is going to Australia soon and asked if we could set up a local dive together so she could get some more dives in before going to the GBR. I don't have the opportunity to dive with newly certed folks very often and thought this would be a good way to offer some mentoring and do some bonding with someone I'll be working with from time to time.

As we talked, I kept discovering more and more basic diving terms and concepts that were completely unknown to her. She mentioned that she has just purchased a new air-integrated computer for her trip and has no idea how to use it. When I suggested reading the manual, she asked if she could instead have me 'set it so that it will just beep when it's time to come up.' Huh?

By the end of our meal, she had demonstrated that she essentially had NO working knowledge of NDLs, DCS, gear function, and a host of other fundamental diving issues.

My original thinking was that we could have a fun outing and I could possibly offer some advice to help polish her skills. However, I now have serious reservations about diving with this person as I feel she is unqualified. I can't detect even the barest semblance of having grasped the material that was surely offered in an OW class.

I don't want to embarrass her OR damage our professional relationship, but I feel that she needs a thorough refresher course before I dive with her. I'm not an instructor and don't feel qualified or motivated to serve as one.

My options seem to be to tell the truth about my appraisal of her need for another course (which may or may not be well-received), make up an excuse to not dive together, or just do the dive and just keep it very short and very shallow.

Curious how others would resolve this...

Would it be at all possible that she may be using the silly blonde route to make you feel like you're helping her and she gets more face time with you? Could be her way of flirting. I would help her with the computer, and maybe do a very shallow dive and see how she really handles herself.

cyklon_300:
I had lunch today with a new coworker.

By the end of our meal, she had demonstrated that she essentially had NO working knowledge of NDLs, DCS, gear function, and a host of other fundamental diving issues.

I don't want to embarrass her OR damage our professional relationship, but I feel that she needs a thorough refresher course before I dive with her. I'm not an instructor and don't feel qualified or motivated to serve as one.

My options seem to be to tell the truth about my appraisal of her need for another course (which may or may not be well-received), make up an excuse to not dive together, or just do the dive and just keep it very short and very shallow.

Curious how others would resolve this...

Quick pull this post before Mike reads it he'll stroke out!!

In your case I would decline the dive and explain that you are not ready/nor qualified to take on the task of retraining somebody. Then offer to be her Buddy during a refresher course with an instructor you trust.

In my case if you gave me a heads up before hand we would waive your fee and play along. Your instructor might do the same.

This way she gets the training and wake up call from an instructor and you come off looking like a cool new friend.

Hallmac

Hi Cyklon,
From what you describe, she seems like an accident waiting to happen. And she is headed to some great diving-possibly(probably?) calling for skills far beyond what she seems to possess. As you don't want to jeopardize the working relationship, I guess delicacy is called for. Yet,if she is as deficient as you describe-can you not do/say something?
If you walk away, and the worst happens .....scary.

If you can't beg off the dive-can you make it someplace as "pool-like" as possible? Maybe in the course of conversation, before/during/instead of this dive, as the more experienced "mentor", you could say something to the effect of "from what I've heard/read/whatever,about the GBR I know i'd want to take a refresher course to brush up on any skills that have gotten rusty" (or in her case, were never learned?)

good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Mike

Hallmac:
In your case I would decline the dive and explain that you are not ready/nor qualified to take on the task of retraining somebody. Then offer to be her Buddy during a refresher course with an instructor you trust.

In my case if you gave me a heads up before hand we would waive your fee and play along. Your instructor might do the same.

This way she gets the training and wake up call from an instructor and you come off looking like a cool new friend.

Hallmac
:clapping: PERFECT!
I'm not advocating taking over her personal responsibility but I wouldn't ignore this. If you didn't step in and steer her in the right direction, the next 'dive buddy' may not get the warning you did...with disasterous consequences for both. It would be a kind and responsible thing for you to do. Plus you'll add another safe dive buddy. A win-win situation!

GDI:
The truth in a tactful manner.

I totally agree with GDI. Especially if she's not even willing to read her computer's manual. Makes one wonder if she read her class manual and how she got certified. It's pretty hard to forget that much in such a short time period.

Paula

Maybe the "learners permit" analogy would be a way to break it to her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom