Din or yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry but an adapter can go in the checked bag and I am not worried about a baggage handler taking that. Did I ask you if you thought paying X amount of dollars is a smart buy for a reg? You have some other issues going on that you must jump in and offer no help whatsoever!

Can anyone tell me if using a Ti 1st stage and a brass adapter will be harmful other then 2 un-similar metals bonding. Which I have heard can cause rust faster?

There are dis-similar metals between most all Yoke/DIN adapters and 1st stages. My experience is you get enough salt water in the threads that when it dries, it is a sumbitch to get apart. In any event, neither will rust (FeOx) since neither contain iron.

The solution is to unscrew the two after a nice two hour soak (like after your second dive). Without knowing the exact alloy of the threads on your regulator and the body of the adapter there is no way to predict how much galvanic reaction (if any) might happen.

You comment about putting your regulator in your checked bag seems overly paranoid to me, and I don't know of any US based airlines that are weighing carry-on luggage, but you should be careful with weight restrictions on that aluminum foil hat :D

There are dis-similar metals between most all Yoke/DIN adapters and 1st stages. My experience is you get enough salt water in the threads that when it dries, it is a sumbitch to get apart. In any event, neither will rust (FeOx) since neither contain iron.

The solution is to unscrew the two after a nice two hour soak (like after your second dive). Without knowing the exact alloy of the threads on your regulator and the body of the adapter there is no way to predict how much galvanic reaction (if any) might happen.

You comment about putting your regulator in your checked bag seems overly paranoid to me, and I don't know of any US based airlines that are weighing carry-on luggage, but you should be careful with weight restrictions on that aluminum foil hat :D

Thx John! It is not the airline agent weighing my reg the issue. It is luging around 2 sets of gear, camera gear, laptops dive computers etc. Whenever I travel I take my wife along with all her gear. Guess who has to carry it? There are multiple reasons why I want this reg someone else telling me I should spend money elsewhere bothers me. I know it is a ton of money for a reg but there are many reasons why it is worth it to me.

I'll leave JohnN to harass you about the weight savings :D while I get back to the issue I'm more curious about: supposedly not needing to soak a Ti reg set the way one would a typical plated brass reg set. Okay, so you say the 1st stage is sealed. What about the 2nd stages? I am no expert--and I'm asking for my own interest and not trying to be argumentative--but won't your 2nd stages accumulate salt deposits the same way any other 2nd stages would? My understanding is that it's not corrosion that's the problem (in the short term) but rather salt deposits hampering the mechanisms. Perhaps someone who really understands Ti reg construction and sealed reg construction can chime in. Is a sealed Ti reg set truly less susceptible to problems caused by salt deposits than other regs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom