Din or yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which one and why? I have been looking for a new reg but seems like yoke is the more universal for the us and Caribbean.

Yoke is far more common, if you are primarily a vacation diver, or will be renting tanks, get a yoke reg. But if you will own your tanks and dive locally, I prefer DIN (All my tanks are DIN). If you travel you can pick up an adapter for a yoke fitting, but I would not use one full time.

DIN uses a captured o-ring so they are far less likely to fail, as well the threads make them more secure. However, I am not sure how much better it is than a yoke as I have never seen or heard of one (locally) failing. Yoke orings fail one someones tank, almost every time we are out.

DIN, If you are going abroad, take an adapter.

BOTH!
With an adapter all things are possible.
240.3002.jpg

Chug
Can dive just about any tank, anywhere, @ any time.

DIN is my choice. As others have said, a DIN-Yoke adaptor works well enough when you're stuck with a dive operator/charter too cheap to equip with convertible DIN/Yoke cylinder valves. Convertible valves are becoming more popular though - certainly with more proactive dive ops..

din%20insert.jpg

I like din with a adapter when necessary.
Din is easier for me personally just the opposite for my wife she likes yolk.
Depends on the person and either will do it.
I prefer the profile of Din regs as well a tad bit less bulky.

CamG

If you are traveling in the US or Caribbean, yoke is the way to go, forget the adapters. They are a pain and fact is yoke is just as good a connector as DIN. Contrary to what most believe, the connection/seal on a DIN and yoke are the same one, just opposite sides of the connection. The yoke oring rest in a groove in the tank and seats on a flat in the reg, the DIN rest in a groove in the reg and seats on a flat in the tank, the actual mating system is the same, they are both face seals. The biggest advantage of the DIN and the reason they tend to blow more often is the O-ring in yoke rental tanks (and most personal tanks as well) is often times abused where as the DIN is most of the time better taken care of. The average DIN orings sees less dives and is changed during annual service as opposed to the yoke rental tank one that rarely gets changed unless is fails or looks really bad. The DIN connection is a little more secure mechanically but it is also a lot more prone to damage, a nick on the reg threads or a slight bump on the valve is enough to put the reg or tank out of commission unitl it goes back to the shop for some expensive repairs.
The yoke has been around since the dawn of diving and is still going strong for good reasons, it works and is reliable.

Last edited:
If you dive mostly rental tanks go with a yoke. Although you can use an adapter it makes it uncomfortable as the reg sticks out at least 1 inch more and tends to hit you on the back of the head. Especially with regs like MK2 shown in post #4. If you dive rentals occasionally then DIN adapter is OK, but if you dive the adapter all the time it does not make sense to tolerate it.

If you plan to own your own tanks and dive locally go with a DIN if you plan to do ay technical diving in the future. If not - it does not matter honestly. Yoke is faster to put on the tank. For recreational diving there is no advantage really of one over the other. Except that yoke is faster to put on the tank.

I use DIN locally and yoke on vacations.

If you are traveling in the US or Caribbean, yoke is the way to go, forget the adapters. They are a pain and fact is yoke is just as good a connector as DIN. Contrary to what most believe, the connection/seal on a DIN and yoke are the same one, just opposite sides of the connection. The yoke oring rest in a groove in the tank and seats on a flat in the reg, the DIN rest in a groove in the reg and seats on a flat in the tank, the actual mating system is the same, they are both gland seals. The biggest advantage of the DIN and the reason they tend to blow more often is the O-ring in yoke rental tanks (and most personal tanks as well) is often times abused where as the DIN is most of the time better taken care of. The average DIN orings sees less dives and is changed during annual service as opposed to the yoke rental tank one that rarely gets changed unless is fails or looks really bad. The DIN connection is a little more secure mechanically but it is also a lot more prone to damage, a nick on the reg threads or a slight bump on the valve is enough to put the reg or tank out of commission unitl it goes back to the shop for some expensive repairs.
The yoke has been around since the dawn of diving and is still going strong for good reasons, it works and is reliable.

Wow, that was a lot of typing. Too bad so much of it is wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom