Question DIN Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrMattWill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Without getting into a DIN vs. Yoke, can people let me know about the size comparisons?

Length of DIN?
Length of DIN+Adapter?
Length of Yoke?

I am primarily interested in comparing the size. Since I am leaning towards a DIN, I am concerned about the total size of the DIN+Adapter and it might hit me in the head.

Well a DIN is usually "shorter" than a Yoke....a DIN with an adapter is usually "longer" than just a Yoke....somewhat common to hit your head with that combo. Every dive or dive boat I have been on had DIN tanks..they just remove the "insert" from the valve

Well a DIN is usually "shorter" than a Yoke....a DIN with an adapter is usually "longer" than just a Yoke....somewhat common to hit your head with that combo. Every dive or dive boat I have been on had DIN tanks..they just remove the "insert" from the valve

This I realize. I am hoping someone can provide those sizes to help me make a decision.

I'm not exactly sure what measurement you are looking for, but lets assume it has to do with how far the regulator sticks out from the valve towards the back of your head. If that's what you're after, there would be no appreciable difference between yoke and DIN. The 300bar DIN has two extra threads on it, so using it with a 200bar convertible valve means it sticks out more maybe 4mm or so as opposed to the same reg in a 300bar valve. If you are trying to compare how far towards your head the same regulator, fitted with yoke as opposed to 300bar DIN, on the same convertible valve ( those are all 200bar) would be, the answer is not enough to worry about; maybe the 300bar DIN sticks out a bit more due to those extra 2 threads.

Using a 300bar DIN regulator with a spin on adapter on a yoke valve pushes the regulator about an inch, maybe a little more, closer to your head. That is appreciable. For me it would be totally unacceptable to do on a regular basis.

But there's another issue which you haven't mentioned, actually two issues. One is that if you are diving with yoke tanks primarily, you should definitely get a yoke reg. Once you put the DIN/yoke spin on adapter, you have immediately cancelled the advantages of DIN. A DIN reg on a yoke tank with the adapter is the most trouble-prone connection you can have. The other issue is with the convertible valves in rental situations, like in the Caribbean. Those inserts tend to stay installed for a long time, and the threads are not protected from saltwater, so they get very corroded. I've seen them strip a few times on boats where the DM is trying to remove it with a rusty allen key so that a customer can use a DIN reg. That make the tank useless until the valve is serviced or replaced. Maybe they're starting to figure out that you have to remove those inserts after salt water dives, but I wouldn't count on it.

So if this whole conversation is about using DIN regs vs yoke regs with yoke tanks, it's a much better idea to get a yoke reg. If you are diving primarily with DIN tanks (your own, that are maintained) and you need to occasionally use a yoke tank, then fine, that's what the adapters are for.

Sorry for the long post, hope it's helpful.

"I'm not exactly sure what measurement you are looking for, but lets assume it has to do with how far the regulator sticks out from the valve towards the back of your head."

This is my question.

The DIN adaptors come in different configurations even they all do the same thing. I've collected a few over the years and they are all different shapes,sizes and weights. So it's a difficult question to answer.

"I'm not exactly sure what measurement you are looking for, but lets assume it has to do with how far the regulator sticks out from the valve towards the back of your head."

This is my question.
the total distance will depend on the regulator. What you want is the additional distance a reg sticks out from the valve face due to using a yoke adapter, versus just screwing in. And there are various yoke adapters....

I'm not exactly sure what measurement you are looking for, but lets assume it has to do with how far the regulator sticks out from the valve towards the back of your head. If that's what you're after, there would be no appreciable difference between yoke and DIN. The 300bar DIN has two extra threads on it, so using it with a 200bar convertible valve means it sticks out more maybe 4mm or so as opposed to the same reg in a 300bar valve. If you are trying to compare how far towards your head the same regulator, fitted with yoke as opposed to 300bar DIN, on the same convertible valve ( those are all 200bar) would be, the answer is not enough to worry about; maybe the 300bar DIN sticks out a bit more due to those extra 2 threads.

Using a 300bar DIN regulator with a spin on adapter on a yoke valve pushes the regulator about an inch, maybe a little more, closer to your head. That is appreciable. For me it would be totally unacceptable to do on a regular basis.

But there's another issue which you haven't mentioned, actually two issues. One is that if you are diving with yoke tanks primarily, you should definitely get a yoke reg. Once you put the DIN/yoke spin on adapter, you have immediately cancelled the advantages of DIN. A DIN reg on a yoke tank with the adapter is the most trouble-prone connection you can have. The other issue is with the convertible valves in rental situations, like in the Caribbean. Those inserts tend to stay installed for a long time, and the threads are not protected from saltwater, so they get very corroded. I've seen them strip a few times on boats where the DM is trying to remove it with a rusty allen key so that a customer can use a DIN reg. That make the tank useless until the valve is serviced or replaced. Maybe they're starting to figure out that you have to remove those inserts after salt water dives, but I wouldn't count on it.

So if this whole conversation is about using DIN regs vs yoke regs with yoke tanks, it's a much better idea to get a yoke reg. If you are diving primarily with DIN tanks (your own, that are maintained) and you need to occasionally use a yoke tank, then fine, that's what the adapters are for.

Sorry for the long post, hope it's helpful.
" A DIN reg on a yoke tank with the adapter is the most trouble-prone connection you can have. "
Is this factually true or just an opinion? I never thought of this before.

" A DIN reg on a yoke tank with the adapter is the most trouble-prone connection you can have. "
Is this factually true or just an opinion? I never thought of this before.
You have just one o-ring on a yoke reg....the one of the tank, of dubious heritage and condition.
You have just one o-ring on a DIN reg, the one on the reg. It is your o-ring, so presumably to take care of it.
Which o-ring is most likely to cause problems for you?
Yoke connections are easily knocked off, sare not as robust as DIN connections.
The yoke world is less reliable than the DIN world, and the DIN world is not perfect.
Put them together: you have something less reliable than either alone, with most of the potential issues coming from the yoke connection.
What was your question again?

about 1 inch difference.
Aqualung Core Supreme reg in both DIN and Yoke:
1680023663459.png
1680023677626.png

The face of the yoke reg seats against the tank o-ring. The DIN reg screws into the yoke adapter, then the yoke adapter seats against the tank o-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom