DIN to Yoke adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Atomic makes one out of titanium. Because brass...just isn't good enough.
$350.

Good God man! $350 bones for that! I think I paid $25 from XS Scuba. Works great!
I guess some people will buy anything, if its made of Titanium!:confused:

Dave

Teamcasa:
Good God man! $350 bones for that! I think I paid $25 from XS Scuba. Works great!
I guess some people will buy anything, if its made of Titanium!:confused:
I imagine it's like their "Titanium M1 Accent Kit", which is apparently "perfect for divers wanting to make a statement in their choice of diving equipment."

I'm just waiting for the special spoilers that attach to your cam bands. Oh, and fins with spinners. :D

I'm thinking two pieces of 4" PVC with silver duct tape wrapping to make them look metallic, with orange-painted chicken-wire nose cones. Mount them to the cam bands with some "outriggers" so they stand several inches above and beside the cylinder (and parallel to it).

They'll add a little drag, of course, but the water will flow through them well enough, and it'd be *hilarious* to fin by someone 70 feet down in the quarry when you're dressed up as a starship. (Maybe wear a cap with NCC-something-or-other on it, too.)

Um... and so as to not be too far off topic, imagine the din that yoke would create topside? :D

Where can I get some of whatever you guys have been eating/drinking/inhaling? :D

Back to the topic though; the kits to go from DIN-to-yoke sometimes cost way more than the yoke-to-DIN kits. In fact, with some brands, the former do not come as "kits" but need to be assembled from the main parts list, a pricey situation.
"Way back when, many moons ago" it took a couple years to notice that my Cyklon 300 had an adapter screwed onto it. It looked like there wasn't a DIN fitting hiding underneath.
The old all-metal Poseidon adapters appear on ebay from time to time, usually in the $35 - $40 range. Chinese jobbies can be had for around $28.
Watch out for the plastic knobbed screws, at least one mfgr forgot to add UV inhibitor to the mix. Get a spare metric bolt that fits & grind a little point to it, stick it in yer spares kit.

SparticleBrane:
Atomic makes one out of titanium. Because brass...just isn't good enough.
$350.
Does that include a tank too?

Bob3:
Where can I get some of whatever you guys have been eating/drinking/inhaling? :D

Back to the topic though; the kits to go from DIN-to-yoke sometimes cost way more than the yoke-to-DIN kits. In fact, with some brands, the former do not come as "kits" but need to be assembled from the main parts list, a pricey situation.
"Way back when, many moons ago" it took a couple years to notice that my Cyklon 300 had an adapter screwed onto it. It looked like there wasn't a DIN fitting hiding underneath.
The old all-metal Poseidon adapters appear on ebay from time to time, usually in the $35 - $40 range. Chinese jobbies can be had for around $28.
Watch out for the plastic knobbed screws, at least one mfgr forgot to add UV inhibitor to the mix. Get a spare metric bolt that fits & grind a little point to it, stick it in yer spares kit.

Here is a picture of some of my old Cyklon 300 and an older Cyklon first stage with only one LP port. The adapter does look like it belongs there, but since I used to serviced them (since the early 70’s) at the dive shop in Puerto Rico I did know it was a “European DIN fitting” below the yoke adapter.

On the right is an old Draeger twin tank DIN manifold. The male DIN fittings didn’t use O-rings, it used phenolic gaskets. A big wrench was required to put the doubles together. That fitting came with the white tanks at the bottom The tanks original hydro is from 1957. They are some of the most structurally sound tanks I have seen.

DSCN2359.jpg

It was very handy that the Cyklon 300 was my favorite regulator when I got the opportunity to buy the Poseidon and Draeger tanks shown below. These are the most comfortable tanks in or out of the water. It is to bad that they are not DOT (that wasn’t much of an issue in PR, specially since I worked at a dive shop).

Yeah...the DIN fitting was basically unheard of this side of the Atlantic back in the 70’s. It is a nice fitting, but the threads do wear with time. Maybe the Titanium would be a good long term investment…I don’t think so :rolleyes: … not at that price.

DSCN2346.jpg

DSCN2334.jpg

DSCN2333.jpg

Back
Top Bottom