Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I read this whole thread. I'm facing the same decision as the OP is (or was). I.e. I'm shopping for my first reg setup. I want it to be future-proofed (as much as possible), and I want to be able to dive anywhere in the world that I happen to go (and rent tanks).

After reading all this, I *think* what I got as being the best recommended plan is:

Buy a 300 bar DIN reg and get a DIN-to-yoke conversion kit for it and take that with me wherever I go. If I end up somewhere where my only option is a yoke tank, then I spend 30 to 60 seconds changing my reg from DIN to yoke?

Is that really right? Is that conversion something I, as a soon-to-be-minted OW diver, can realistically do? Or do I need to get special training before I could plan to do that conversion myself?

If I need special training, then I'll say that that approach is out the window for now, which leaves me with my understanding of the second best approach - just buy a yoke reg that can be converted to 300 bar DIN later.

TIA!

Buy a 300 bar DIN reg and get a DIN-to-yoke conversion kit for it and take that with me wherever I go. If I end up somewhere where my only option is a yoke tank, then I spend 30 to 60 seconds changing my reg from DIN to yoke?

Is that really right?
Yes.
Is that conversion something I, as a soon-to-be-minted OW diver, can realistically do?
Yes. Unless you are totally devoid of any mechanical skills / ability, whatsoever. And, that is not intended as a snide comment. If you really have no mechanical ability at all (and some people simply don't), I would recommend having someone else do it. But, barring that, it really is very straightforward.
Or do I need to get special training before I could plan to do that conversion myself?
You don't need 'special training', per se. But, it would be a good idea to have an experienced user walk you through it the first time. A critical element - having the proper sized hex key to tighten the DIN bolt, and a willingness to be gentle on tightening things in general. The parts are brass. Too often, overly enthusiastic users tend to over-tighten (following the 'if snug is good, then much tighter is much righter' notion - the same people take a 16" crescent wrench and (incorrectly) over-tighten the valves on their cylinders, using a rubber mallet to hammer the end of the wrench top assure that the valve is tight).

One challenge you may have is loosening the yoke (retaining) nut when the reg is in the yoke configuration. Successfully managing that is primarily a matter of having the correctly sized, thin walled, socket.

While I am in the don't buy DIN camp...there is another option and I think stuartv may be meaning buying a Yoke adapter as opposed to a conversion kit. They are totally different. The yoke adapter just screws on over the DIN fitting. If that is the case, it is intended to be done by the user. If you are not going to use yoke much then its a better option than a conversion kit.

All my regulators are DIN. I recently dived in Australia on a liveaboard that had nothing but yoke valves. I just screwed on the adapter--20 seconds of uncomplicated labor.

Thanks, Colliam!

I am very mechanically inclined. I have been wrenching on my own racebikes for over 20 years. With almost 0 DNFs, I might add. Whatever size hex wrench it takes, I've got it. I probably have at least 3, actually.

Awesome.
While I am in the don't buy DIN camp...there is another option and I think stuartv may be meaning buying a Yoke adapter as opposed to a conversion kit. They are totally different. The yoke adapter just screws on over the DIN fitting. If that is the case, it is intended to be done by the user. If you are not going to use yoke much then its a better option than a conversion kit.
No, Herman, I meant a conversion kit, not an adapter. I read enough in this thread to take y'all's word for it that using a yoke adapter sucks. I'm willing to spend a little more money to not have to worry about banging the back of my head on my reg.

No, Herman, I meant a conversion kit, not an adapter. I read enough in this thread to take y'all's word for it that using a yoke adapter sucks. I'm willing to spend a little more money to not have to worry about banging the back of my head on my reg.

Funny. Using my adapter does not bother me at all.

Okay, I read this whole thread. I'm facing the same decision as the OP is (or was). I.e. I'm shopping for my first reg setup. I want it to be future-proofed (as much as possible), and I want to be able to dive anywhere in the world that I happen to go (and rent tanks).

After reading all this, I *think* what I got as being the best recommended plan is:

TIA!

You should really buy a regulator that fits the tanks you will be using. If that is mostly yoke tanks, buy a yoke regulator. It's that simple. The adapters are a pain in the neck, literally. They push the reg off the tank just enough to smack you in the back of the neck when you look up, depending on how your tank is mounted. And using an adapter negates ALL of the perceived benefits of the DIN connection. The adapters are a good idea for someone who primarily dives DIN tanks, but occasionally needs to fit a DIN reg on a yoke tank.

There are only a few mistakes someone can make buying a regulator; generally speaking, all the regulators made and sold by the major manufacturers do an excellent job and are very reliable. One of these mistakes is buying a reg that does not fit the tanks you will be using. It really doesn't matter what any particular person feels about DIN vs yoke. What matters is what tanks will be available to you in most of the dive situations you'll be in.

Converting a reg from DIN to yoke or vice-versa is not difficult, but it does require buying either the yoke or DIN retainer, (not the spin-on adapter) and using the correct tools to switch them out. It's probably easier and not much more money to just get two first stages, DIN and yoke, and use them as needed. That only involves switching out hoses.

You should really buy a regulator that fits the tanks you will be using. If that is mostly yoke tanks, buy a yoke regulator. It's that simple. The adapters are a pain in the neck, literally. They push the reg off the tank just enough to smack you in the back of the neck when you look up, depending on how your tank is mounted. And using an adapter negates ALL of the perceived benefits of the DIN connection. The adapters are a good idea for someone who primarily dives DIN tanks, but occasionally needs to fit a DIN reg on a yoke tank.

Converting a reg from DIN to yoke or vice-versa is not difficult, but it does require buying either the yoke or DIN retainer, (not the spin-on adapter) and using the correct tools to switch them out. It's probably easier and not much more money to just get two first stages, DIN and yoke, and use them as needed. That only involves switching out hoses.

Right. That's why I said I would convert from one to the other. Not use an adapter. For all those reasons that you mentioned.

From what you and Colliam said, it sounds like my Plan A is the right one (for me). Is changing 4 hoses over from 1 reg to another really easier than changing a reg from DIN to yoke or vice versa? Wouldn't having 2 regs double my annual servicing expense?

there is another option and I think stuartv may be meaning buying a Yoke adapter as opposed to a conversion kit. They are totally different. The yoke adapter just screws on over the DIN fitting. If that is the case, it is intended to be done by the user. If you are not going to use yoke much then its a better option than a conversion kit.
Herman, I was reacting to this specific line in the OP's post: 'Buy a 300 bar DIN reg and get a DIN-to-yoke conversion kit for it ' - I added the underline and bold-faced type. I really think the OP was referring to the actual conversion, not just using an adaptor.

---------- Post added September 26th, 2014 at 04:23 PM ----------

Is changing 4 hoses over from 1 reg to another really easier than changing a reg from DIN to yoke or vice versa?
No. At least, in my experience, it is not. It certainly would take more time. And, having done it, I find it more cumbersome.
Wouldn't having 2 regs double my annual servicing expense?
Not quite. You would increase the expense, but not double it. You would be going from one first stage, and two second stages, to TWO first stages, and two second stages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom