DIN/Yoke question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
First, let me say that I've read as many threads as I could find re: DIN/Yoke choosing & options. A few questions remain as I'm about to purchase my first regulator (leaning toward Scubapro or Apeks...my LDS carries both, and I'm torn 50/50!)

My diving will consist of (1) local quarry/inland (will purchase my own tanks, haven't yet); (2) "tourist" diving in florida/Caribbean; (3) hope to get into Cavern diving in FL or Mexico, but no plans for cave.

It seems to me that DIN would be most flexible, as it would be the system of choice should I begin to extend to more sophisticated diving systems. In the meantime, it looks like I would need to use either (1) a DIN-to-Yoke adaptor, to simply screw onto my DIN setup to quickly switch over for those touristy charter trips....although my head is already starting to hurt just reading the posts on here re: this option; or, (2) - which I'd like to know more about - a DIN-to-Yoke CONVERTER which would allow me to remove the DIN fitting on the 1st stage and convert it to "100% yoke."

The second option appeals (in theory, haven't tried either yet), as it may save my head what sounds like may end up to some serious bumping over the course of a week diving with a Caribbean charter, but......I'm not the most mechanically inclined, as my wife would point out to anyone.

Is it really that simple to swap a DIN setup for a yoke, and vice versa? Could this be done while on a trip to Mexico, for example, if I'm diving cenotes w/ DIN tanks one day & swapping to yoke tanks the next for some boat diving? Seems that the frequent swapping of DIN/yoke setups may be tough on the gear....but clearly I'm uneducated when it comes to this. Please educate. :)

Thanks!

Yes it's that simple...but don't worry about switching while in Mexico....odds are VERY VERY good your cenote diving will be ALU80's all yoke.

They don't wanna kill any tourists, so it's not like they're gonna push your gas limits to the extreme, or give you the big DIN setup..... It's quite tame, and VERY fun.

By it yoke, and buy a DIN conversion fitting, and just swap. It's simple and neat and clean. So it's a few more bucks, big deal.

DeepScuba once bubbled...
Yes it's that simple...but don't worry about switching while in Mexico....odds are VERY VERY good your cenote diving will be ALU80's all yoke.

They don't wanna kill any tourists, so it's not like they're gonna push your gas limits to the extreme, or give you the big DIN setup..... It's quite tame, and VERY fun.

By it yoke, and buy a DIN conversion fitting, and just swap. It's simple and neat and clean. So it's a few more bucks, big deal.

I have not yet dived in Mexico, but I would think that the AL80's would have DIN valves, not cuz of any gas limits as you mentioned, but because of being in an overhead environment. DIN is a much more secure connection.

I personally have the Apeks DS4 in DIN and I love it. I have used the DIN to yoke converter to use with yoke valves and I dind't bump my head on my first stage.

I have, and that's how I know.

You're right it isn't a gas thing, all I meant by that is, these Cenote dives are nothing more than recreational excursions, and as such are done in a total recreational manner.

Meaning, nothing diferrent than what you're wearing when you do the "regular" Coz drift diving with a regular Dive Op.

ALU80, Yokes........

It's just easier on the Ops that way.

DeepScuba-

I'm thinking of cavern training down there, so thought I'd run into DIN...but clearly, with the diving that I'm going to be doing over the years, I'm going to be exposed to both. I'm curious why you suggest buying yoke & a DIN conversion fitting as opposed to buying DIN w/ a yoke conversion fitting.....or are these really one & the same? (i.e., when you've got your first stage bare & you're staring at your two options to put on, it really doesn't matter which one came as the accessory and which one came with the reg?)

And are these converters the ones that require a vice & hefty wrench to interchange, or is it a more simple procedure than that?
(Once again, I'm referring to the converters, not the "adaptors" that simply turn a DIN into a DIN+yoke....geesh I hate the terminology surrounding this!)

Thanks!

DeepScuba once bubbled...
I have, and that's how I know.

You're right it isn't a gas thing, all I meant by that is, these Cenote dives are nothing more than recreational excursions, and as such are done in a total recreational manner.

Meaning, nothing diferrent than what you're wearing when you do the "regular" Coz drift diving with a regular Dive Op.

ALU80, Yokes........

It's just easier on the Ops that way.

I wasn't doubting you, I was just surprised that's all.

DIN fittings are very common in Britain and I always got the impression from divers over here that had I bought regs with yoke fittings it would be a hassle to have them replaced/converted to DIN at a later stage and that unlike DIN fittings it isn't simply a case of carrying the convertor with you all the time. Maybe I am wrong on that one though :confused:

As it is I have an Apeks DS4 1st stage and carry a convertor in my reg bag so no matter what happens I can put my regs on a tank. In most cases I have found you can get tanks which can be either so I rarely have to use the convertor.

DIN fittings are much stronger than Yoke & will last you through any expansion of your diving career.

If you buy a DIN first stage & a Yoke adapter, you can dive anything, anywhere. When you get to a site that only has AL80's with yoke, you screw the adapter onto your first stage & leave it on. You now have a Yoke first stage for all pratical purposes.

Yes, it really is that easy.

Harley-

OK, you're referring to the ADAPTOR that screws onto a DIN fitting (instead of REPLACING it). That does sound easy (and what many people seem to do here), but it also seems that's the setup that many say bangs their head.

I think I just need to find someone around here w/ DIN tanks, screw on the adaptor, throw on the rig, take it for a test-spin & see if I hit my head! While 1/2" doesn't seem like much of an increase in the depth of the 1st stage attachment, if it hits the noggin just right, I can see how that'd be darn annoying.

OK - it's that simple, how do you do it?

I've got SP Mk20's and can not for the life of me do it, and I have tried as I have all the bits and it's almost impossible (except at a very high price) to get SP DIN regs serviced out here.

According to SP Japan there is no such thing as a DIN conversion kit and they are very surpised when you show them otherwise...

Thanks
Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom