DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vbcoachchris:
I agree 38-40 lbs in plenty of lift for LP 95's or even 104's with a deco bottle. The question is it enough to perform the rescue of a team member with the same gear at the beginning of the dive (when everyone is the heaviest). If the answer is yes, you are diving the correct wing. If the answer is no, you need a bigger wing. DIR divers think for the team not the individual. I assure you a 40 lb wing will not support two divers in full gear
Drysuit...

rjack321:
A balanced rig avoids rescues

Please describe a balanced rig that utilizes double steel tanks (95s, 104s, 130s, etc), as per this discussion.

The reality is that a balanced rig is really a bit of a pipe dream. It's a mythical creature. The only truly balanced rig would be aluminum 80s with a ditchable weightbelt. It all sounds good until reality steps in.

Soggy:
Please describe a balanced rig that utilizes double steel tanks (95s, 104s, 130s, etc), as per this discussion.

The reality is that a balanced rig is really a bit of a pipe dream. It's a mythical creature. The only truly balanced rig would be aluminum 80s with a ditchable weightbelt. It all sounds good until reality steps in.

yeah, sort of on that subject, i've been pondering that trying to take tech1 in double-130s full of EAN32 may not be the best way to show off your buoyancy skillz. its probably a lot easier in LP85s filled to service pressure...

lamont:
yeah, sort of on that subject, i've been pondering that trying to take tech1 in double-130s full of EAN32 may not be the best way to show off your buoyancy skillz. its probably a lot easier in LP85s filled to service pressure...

Yeah. Especially since they are often taught in fresh water!

I actually want to double up my lp72s at some point for shallow dives when I have extra cash for a manifold and bands so I can devote those to my nitrox diving, especially when only doing 1 dive.

Lamont can speak to swimming up double 130s with the help of a drysuit.

I use LP85s or HP100s with a stage if I need that much gas. 7-8 lb weight belt in saltwater, none in fresh. Oh and if I do need that much gas, there's a good chance there's helium in it!

So Soggy, you using a double bladder or gonna hang on your buddy if you have a wing failure? :D

lamont:

I found the 85s to be a bit small for my first dive to 150 in the lake. Damn its cold and dark down there = a sky high SAC! I can easily use those for Tech1 dives now - 35 dives later.

Harry, Lynne, and Michelle all had 95s or bigger.

Soggy:

What do you think a balanced rig is?

I typically wear double AL80's and sometimes an AL80 stage/deco bottle. I'm able to swim my rig to the surface from depth quiet easily in the event of total buoyancy failure. I've worn double HP120's before with an AL80 deco bottle and felt that I would be able to do the same with that rig. I don't think that having ditchable weight or only using AL80 tanks is the only way to have a balanced rig.

I've read a tech 2 report recently where the student had a real scenario that wasn't part of her class where her low pressure inflator came off during a dive and she was able to swim her rig to the surface in full kit.

Why do you feel that a balanced rig is a pipe dream?

So Soggy, you using a double bladder or gonna hang on your buddy if you have a wing failure? :D

I've got a drysuit, a buddy, a lift bag, and usually an anchor line. It doesn't concern me very much. If all else fails, I can dump gas.

I use a 6-8 lb weight belt with the 130s in salt water and 400g thinsulate. Fresh water, I might as well be a rock. It's an unfortunate reality of diving with large quantities of gas.

rjack321:
A balanced rig avoids rescues

Stage and deco bottles are ditchable weight as is a weight belt, so the rig is balanced, but in a rescue situation do you really want to deal with ditching all of that at the surface.

I know Lamont can swim full 130's (with 32%) up and so can I, but I can't swim Lamont's 130's and my 130's to the surface together.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom